Undergraduate Advising

Monday, April 22 will be my last day as the advisor for CS second majors and CS minors. Advisees will be emailed about the transition in the prior week and information on the new advisor will be posted here as  well.

I advise Computer Science second majors outside the School of Engineering and I advise all Computer Science minors regardless of school. My advising office hours are given on my main page.

As a second major and minor advisor I am always a secondary advisor, and my role is to advise on computer science.

• It is important that you work with your primary advisor who is responsible for releasing holds, giving certain other permissions, and who is the appropriate guide for your primary major.
  • Your primary advisor may want my opinion on your computer science progress before releasing a hold, and that is entirely appropriate, but I won’t release holds and take other actions that are not in my purview, except perhaps under special circumstances. This is because if you don’t satisfy the requirements of your primary major then you don’t satisfy the CS second major either. So sign off by your primary advisor is most important.
  • I am the appropriate person for adding and dropping CS courses only, and for adding and dropping the CS major or minor.
  • In any case, I am always happy to talk to you about many issues including career and course options, regardless of field, during office hours (see my main page for office hours)

If you are interested in a second major in CS from outside Engineering or a CS minor, see the corresponding links at the undergraduate computer science FAQ and for various forms and instructions regarding academic changes. FYI: Processing of requests for CS second majors and CS minors are paused two weeks before the start of registration for a semester, and remain closed until after the registration period ends for that semester. The pause for Fall registrations will typically run from late March (Sunday, March  24, 2024) to late April (for 2024, the pause may extend uninterrupted until August 15 2024). The pause for Spring registrations will typically run from mid October to mid November. If you request a major or minor during these times, you should request it again after the registration period ends.

Processing of requests for CS second majors and CS minors is also paused. for Summer after May 15 until Fall semester starts in August. (In 2024, however, the Summer pause may extend from March 24 to August — see above)

The requirements for CS second majors outside Engineering and CS minors are found in the Vanderbilt catalog computer science site (scroll to the bottom). Note that CS 3262 Applied Machine Learning does NOT count as a depth course and cannot be used to satisfy requirements of the CS double major or CS minor.

CS 2281 Architecture and Lab is an introduction to computer architecture from a programmer’s perspective. The course and lab are worth 3 + 1 credit and both must be taken together. The prerequisite for the course and lab is CS2201 and beginning with the class of 2027, it will replace ECE2123/L as a required course for all majors. For those who have already taken EECE 2123, that will continue to satisfy the major and minor requirement. If you have not yet taken EECE 2123, you can take that or the new course (I encourage the new course unless perhaps you are interested in EE).

If you are doing Study Abroad, see guidelines for evaluating transfer credit.

Link to Doug’s main page