Hubert Humphrey Secretariat November 2018

Hello! I am Aljawharah Alfuhayd, from Saudi Arabia. I am Hubert H. Humphrey secretariat for November 2018.  I work in Princess Nourah Bint Abdulrahman University in Riaydh, the capital of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. PNU is the largest women’s university in the world. It is unique of its sort and ambitious in its vision and mission. It has been named differently and its history goes back to more than 40 years.           I studied there and started my job right after graduation.

PNU
Princess Nourah University

I got my BA, MA, PHD from Princess Nourah University. My field in teaching is English literature and poetry is my major. I am most likely interested in reading English and American literature, modern African American and Anglophone African poetry.  Furthermore, I work as local auditor for quality assurance in PNU. I had many hats in leading administrative positions such as, the chairman of the English Language and Literature Dept., the vice-dean of Development and Skills Enhancement, the dean’s assistant for quality assurance and academic accreditation. I was the leader of Excellence and Quality Ambassadors and the chief director of Media for the Global Conference of Training and Development in PNU.

insead certificate badge (2) I love reading and discussing  issues about leadership in general and higher education is my interest. I started to know about the significance and role of leadership in change making few years ago when I got the ten-month INSED training by multiple trainers from different INSEAD schools.

GLF final
2018 Fellows in Washington DC

That experience was the ground stone as well as the motivation for an increased exploration of the leadership value, theories and practice in the building of successful organizations locally and internationally. That is the secret behind joining H. H. Humphrey program; to dig in the knowledge of leadership models, get in contact with leading professors and last, but not least, participate in leadership conferences and workshops that would be complementary to a previous knowledge.

What do you know about higher education in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia?

There are 62 public and private universities/colleges around the kingdom. Saudi universities are almost the top five or three in the Arab Universities QS Ranking, and in the range between 150-200 in the QS World Ranking.

fahad un
King Fahd University QS World Ranking

Public universities are 100% free, funded by the government. Though this system will be changed in the future. The education in universities is co-education except in PNU.

Some traditions in pictures

hinnah 3
Hinnah in hands

coffee image
Saudi Coffee

bakhour 2
Bokhour (perfumed wood)

posted on November 11, 2018