Vanderbilt University History of Art Blog

Home » HART » HART Graduate Anna Greene Researches Surrealism and Advertising at MOMA Through a Downing Grant

HART Graduate Anna Greene Researches Surrealism and Advertising at MOMA Through a Downing Grant

Posted by on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 in HART, Student/Alumni, VRC.

annagreeneOver the past four years of my college career, one of the most fulfilling and rewarding experiences I had was receiving a Downing grant for undergraduate research travel.  Under the direction of Leonard Folgarait, professor of art, I was studying the relationship between Surrealist art and advertising—a paradox between an artistic movement rooted in a separation from societal norms, versus modern society’s obsession with materialism.

I traveled to New York City during Vanderbilt’s spring break and had the opportunity to search through the exhibition archives of the Museum of Modern Art.   I focused specifically on René Magritte and Salvador Dali, two well-known Surrealist artists who also worked in advertising throughout their careers.  I found contemporary documents, letters, and photographs that allowed me to further understand this connection and obtain a better grasp of the complicated relationship both artists had with the society in which they existed.

I am moving to NYC to work in investment banking at Bank of America Merrill Lynch.  Already missing art history classes!!—Anna Greene, BA’16, shared the Cooley Prize with Francesca Salvatore for the highest grade point average in the history of art.

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Archives

Categories

Meta

Recent Posts

Browse by Month