THE COMMONS CONTINUED—PERSPECTIVE OF A HEAD RESIDENT

Posted by on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 in Community.

Lucas Wesoloski, ’18, College of Arts and Science

Lucas WesoloskiLet me be the first to say that my first-year experience on Commons did not go exactly as I had planned. I started off struggling with my academics and could not find an organization on campus that fit what I wanted to do. However, thanks to my RA, Sam, I was able to buckle down and start doing better in my classes. Sam introduced me to new organizations on campus and helped me expand my network. He played a huge role in my decision to become an RA in North House my sophomore year.

As I got to work alongside Sam in the same house I had lived in my first year, I started to witness my residents go through a lot of the same struggles I was faced with when I was in their position. Residents often think that RAs are always “out to get them” or trying to limit their fun; however, it is simply that our number one priority is your safety. So today I am eager to welcome you as the Head Resident of North House, where I hope you’ll find the same safe and empowering community I myself was able to find as a first-year.

Living on The Commons and balancing academics with social priorities can be stressful for first-year students, but the same goes for RAs. I am excited to get to know each and every one of the residents in North House next year; just don’t forget why we RAs and HRs are here. We are always trying our best to ensure you have a wonderful Commons experience. We will be here for you through the highest highs and the lowest lows and can act as resources and friends. I cannot wait to support you as you explore the opportunities here, and become engaged in The Commons – so take part in the things that happen here because you will get out of this experience what you put into it. Don’t let this year pass without engaging in conversation with your faculty head of house, chatting with your RA after class, or doing service with your peers who, all together, make this a tight-knit community.  Welcome to The Commons!

Tags: , ,