Post-break emails

From: “Douglas H Fisher – douglas.h.fisher@Vanderbilt.Edu” <do-not-reply@blackboard.com>
Reply-To: Douglas Fisher <douglas.h.fisher@vanderbilt.edu>
Date: Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 1:56 PM
Subject: 2017.01.SPR.ENG.CS.3265.01 Intro Database Mgt Sys: grades and meetings

Dear x265,

I hope you are having a great break. We are caught up on grading. The WeightedTotal column is what you should be paying attention to on Blackboard. It is a “running total” but weighted using the weights described on the Grading tab of our course site. Within each category you should see the more specific breakdown (e.g., each of the first 3 exams is 20% of the 60% for EXAM WEIGHT (again, see the Grading tab). The final exam is 40% of that 60%. Quizzes are 9% of grade, with Assignments being 6% of the grade, for a total of 15%, as indicated on the Grading tab.

When looking at my feedback on the second deliverable, make sure that you find the scanned, marked up hardcopy. In all cases, some more than others, I want to see an increase in the complexity of the DB design, in order to support increased functionality. Some general ideas are to increase the sophistication on commenting facilities, allowing responses to and ratings of comments. In most cases, where its applicable, I want you to track views of materials, be they source materials like pictures, or comments and responses. Facebook tracks who views what and when (some call it “stalking”, and Facebook is “stalking” and recording users “stalking”, even if they don’t reveal that). This data influences what they recommend to users. In all cases, where its relevant, I want you to track views (who, what, when), and we will talk about the ethics of that in other social media sites, but work it into your design.

Generally, I also see room for increasing the extent of time-stamped, historical data that is being recorded.

Over break, I will be sending out an email to each group, indicating whether I want a required meeting with your group after break, or whether our meeting is optional. <I have decided that all meetings are required>

Some neat projects are in the making, however. Remember you can see a couple of samples on the Project tab from Spring 2015. On that same page, you can also see what’s coming up, both the intermediate design (due March 24) and  final design and implementation.

Best,

Doug

———————

Date: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 4:52 AM
Subject: 2017.01.SPR.ENG.CS.3265.01 Intro Database Mgt Sys: Meetings this week

Dear x265,

I’ve set aside extra time this week for individual meetings and for group meetings.

Individual meetings: If you want to discuss how you are doing in class, then you can schedule a 15 minute meeting with me on the quarter hour during the following intervals. Email at least one requested time and a backup. These meetings will be at my Warren College office or by Zoom (Join URL: https://zoom.us/j/840189920)

• Tuesday, March 14 (today) from 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm
  • Wednesday, March 15 from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm
  • Thursday, March 16 from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm
  • Friday, March 17 from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm

Group meetings: These meetings are to discuss your projects, and I want all group members to attend, except under special circumstances. Presumably, you have all read my comments on Blackboard to your group regarding your last deliverable and my comments to you personally on assignment 5. These group meetings will be to discuss your designs as represented in the last deliverable, and your plans for the next deliverable.

Group meeting slots are this coming Saturday and Sunday, on the hour, and as long as one hour:

• Saturday, 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
  • Sunday, 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM

One group member should email me with other members on the CC — one preferred time and a backup. Group members can join in person at Warren College or by Zoom (Join URL: https://zoom.us/j/769186250). I will give you some time at the end of class to coordinate on scheduling, both for these meetings and your own.