from communication to community

Posted by on Monday, December 31, 2012 in SLA, Motivation, and Service-Learning.

I’m trying to think more concretely about what interests me in the relationship between language learning and community building — and I think it rests (to view through an SLA lens) in the area of STUDENT MOTIVATION.

or instance, if university-level language learners were to tutor elementary-aged students in the L2, would the older learners be more motivated to learn, apply, retain their own learning (as compared to just learning the L2 to get an “A” in the class, or to meet a core requirement)?  Or even, if the L2 learner were to volunteer through a community service program for immigrants, or to intern for a refugee advocacy group … would these opportunities push the L2 student past communicating just for the sake of communicating and on to communicating to build genuine relationships through becoming a part of his/her own community?  Should volunteering with native L2 speakers and/or bringing native L2 speakers from the community into the classroom be mandatory for L2 learners?

I have mentioned only “from the community” up to now; while “Skype buddies” or native L2 Facebook friends are not bad ideas, this method (in my opinion) doesn’t empower the student as a member of his/her community.  There’s more accountability for learning, using, retaining, continuing to learn the L2 on the part of the L2 students if they invest themselves in their community, for they might “run in” to those native L2 speakers, maybe even create friendships, or spend time with the native L2 speakers beyond what is suggested by the college professor.  I emphasize communication within the classroom — but it’s unrealistic for the students to communicate between and among each other in an L2 when they all share an L1; so, perhaps with an “in-the-flesh” native L2 speaker, the communication becomes as real as it gets.

My question, then, is how to connect the classroom to the community — that is, how to connect L2 learners’ academic lives to their personal lives.  I certainly have some research to do!

Tags: , ,