Lost In The Ivy

About Me

In the fall of 1994, I left Kankakee, Illinois to attend Vanderbilt University on an athletic scholarship.  I was a member of the Vanderbilt football team from 1994 to 1997.  While in undergraduate school, I double majored in Sociology and Human & Organizational Development.  Additionally, during undergrad I was highly involved with Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., the student-athlete advisory committee, D.A.R.E. and countless other community service projects.

After completing my undergraduate degree in three years, I remained at Vanderbilt for graduate school.  In the fall of 1997, I began a Ph.D. program in the sociology department.  In 2003, I completed my graduate studies with the successful defense of my dissertation entitled, Race Matters: Black Rage in the American Prison System.   After graduate school, I began working at the Tennessee Higher Education Commission while simultaneously teaching in the Vanderbilt Sociology Department as a senior lecturer.  The courses that I have taught at the university include, deviant behavior, criminology, statistics, prison life, and social problems.

In addition to teaching at the university, I have also served Vanderbilt in the following capacities: 1) faculty mentor for the Posse Program, 2) University Athletic Advisory Committee, 3) Provost Committee on Sexual Assault, 4) Advisory Committee for the Bishop Joseph Johnson Black Cultural Center, 5) Student Conduct Board, 6) Greek Standards Review Committee, 7) Faculty VUveptor for the Visions program, and 8) head coach of the WNFL (traveling club sports team).  Also, in 2007, I started a student group called Complete Capture.  The primary objective of the group was to assist me in documenting black events at Vanderbilt as part of the larger research project that I was working on entitled, Lost in the Ivy.

In 2007, I married Dr. Kristen Noble (Carter), whom I first met at Vanderbilt in the fall of 1999.  She is currently a first-year resident in pediatrics at the University of Tennessee in Memphis.  We have one beautiful daughter, Jordan Lynn Noble and we currently reside in Cordova, Tennessee.

The article below provides additional biographical information:

Making A Noble Effort

Interested In Participating?

If you would like to participate in the project, please complete the form under "Contact Me" or submit an email message to:

Rosevelt.L.Noble@vanderbilt.edu