Contested Moralities and Medicine

This ethnography was heartbreaking and enlightening. I really liked the opening framing about the river, drawing the parallels about how heroin touches all parts of life in this part of New Mexico. On page 12, Garcia describes the “internalization of moral codes,” which made me think about how legal rulings, across the board, often have moral implications baked into them simultaneously. I’m also thinking about how alcohol, while still deeply problematic in our society, is moving toward being more “morally acceptable” in the public eye, as many organizations like alcoholics anonymous and public health agencies have worked to understand alcoholism as a disease, not a personal choice. This distinctive move away from personal choice can shift the moral weight off of the patient. But in the case, that changes, when the drug is illegal. In this case, the moral implications are deeper and the individual responsibility is invoked more strongly.

Later, on page 13, she says, “heroin is medicine; it relieves the pain its use creates” (13).  This makes me wonder whether there are other harmful drugs that we think about as medicine. It is clear that the line is blurred between medicine and drugs, between harm and healing, with this particular substance and others. Lastly in the introduction, she talks about “chronicity,” and includes this one quote from a worker, who said, “We can’t save somebody who doesn’t want to be saved” (16). While deeply sad to read this, it makes me wonder if this sort of attitude is a necessary self-preservation or resilience tactic used by the workers and volunteers, who see folks like John go in and out of their doors every day, to cemeteries and to jail. I’m sure the weight of that responsibility, guilt, and care is intense. A numbness may be required in order to continue working in the field.

In chapter 5, the opening story is absolutely heartbreaking. I wonder if this experience changed how she went about doing her fieldwork in the future or if she still experiences guilt due to her intentional lack of engagement with the family.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.