The Land of Open Graves [Mar.27]

I think one main difference between this ethnography and other ethnographies that we’ve read is that in Jason De Leon’s research, he incorporated methods of biological anthropology. Although it is not explained in detail in Chapter 7 or the Introduction, it was demonstrated in Chapter 3 of how he used the pigs to experiment the damage of nature on the dead bodies. I really like how he includes all aspects of things in this book, not only the observation itself, the experiments, but also the connection of the immigrants’ family members and how this necroviolence (mentioned in Chapter 3) has such a strong effect on the family members. I think he also writes in a way that’s really easy to understand and connect with, and all I can think of is that, this book is so…REAL.

My first encounter with this book was during the fall when I volunteered to be the facilitator of the installation “Hostile Terrain 94,” which is closely associated with his research. I also attended his talk and was really impressed and moved by everything and that’s when I started to think about the intimate relationship between anthropology and politics. It is because of the Prevention Through Deterrence policy that this immigration issue worsened. I started to wonder, what is the relationship between anthropology and politics? How strong does institutions affect people, and even culture? Or is it vice versa?

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.