April 4th

I came for tea, and instead found a narrative about how colonialism manages to stick around. In all seriousness, the story about Sadha and her family really struck me. Especially, the point where her niece took her seriously for a moment, only until she was able to see the jest in Sadha’s eyes. The momentary worry that it wasn’t actually a joke hit close to home, because I’ve seen that same apprehension in my younger siblings when I went off for college.

I appreciated the author’s straightforwardness in their work. I noticed that they are almost entirely absent from the stories they present and only acknowledge themself when referring to how a situation was witnessed, or a conversation came about. I also appreciated the background is thoroughly covered and I was never confused about what the author was talking about, something that can’t be said about some of the other ethnographies we’ve studied. Overall, it felt very formal and informative rather than personal, while still allowing us to understand the problem and apply the technique to our own study.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.