Blog IX

So far, I really like how the author is informing the audience of one of the exploitative labor structures that exists in our society. I never thought to look at how all the different forms of forced labor exist and interact throughout time. I also think this book is a great way to show people how people are still affected by colonization even if their country has gained its independence.

In the introduction, when the author states how one of the girls was sent away in hopes of being able to earn a salary equivalent to $80 USD, I couldn’t help but wish the author had intervened and given the family money. I understand by doing it would cause a ton of conflicts but in general I wish some form of mutual aid became part of the process, especially in these communities who are often exploited at the benefit of those in western countries.

I enjoyed the author’s analysis of relevant artifacts and the historical context she provided. I also think this ethnography is really relevant for other displaced populations who are seeking to establish a homeland/sense of belonging.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.