Tea & humans as commodities

I really enjoyed reading Tea and Solidarity for many reasons, but specifically for its emphasis on language and the importance that it holds in justice and dignity. The way that words were translated next to their meaning in English throughout the text made me wonder, why were some translated and not others? It is relevant to my dissertation research, as I’m thinking about how to translate both Kichwa words and Spanish words into English. Which ones do I translate and why? In chapter 2, as she discusses the persistence of coolie labor that persist after colonial rule, and in spite of it, I’m thinking back to Tsing and how these two texts might inform one another. The way that the tea, and the Tamil coolies, have become commodified, makes me wonder what significance the tea might have today, were it not commodified. I really enjoyed the way that the author links this idea that Hill Country Tamils are both tied to the land but also transcendent of it. Colonialism has literally constructed their identity in some ways, but in other ways, their identity has global meaning and influence and continues to be dynamic.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.