2/26/23 Dying to Count : Post-Abortion Care and Global Reproductive Health Politics in Senegal

I found Suh’s work to be very insightful. The placement of PAC, which is an attempt to protect mothers, in the category of obstetric violence was really profound. The way that the PAC statistics are manipulated to show success and prevent abortion law reform shows how this policy has many benefits but also detriments. Similarly, Suh places PAC in larger systems (i.e., legal, political, social, economic, etc.), and in Chapter 3, we see this carried out. Whether that be through gendered expectations in determining whether an abortion was induced or the divide between medicine and law, Suh places PAC in these various systems. For example, it is interesting how the norms, situations, and societal expectations of women lead to assumptions of miscarriage or induced abortion. All in all, I found this reading to be very insightful regarding the benefits and detriments of PAC for a woman and women, more broadly.

In regard to methodology, I found her introduction to be quite lengthy. It seemingly included an extensive background, utilizing past research, an acknowledgment of her potential biases as a feminist, and an outline of what is to come. While I thought the background to be lengthy yet insightful, I generally liked the structure of her introduction. In regards to Chapter 3, I thought the use of the quote from the nurse was very clever. I am curious how she got consent for an interview when the stakes of the interview include potential legal consequences. How did she get honest interviews when this is the case? I also think the use of anecdotes adds a human-element that is often missing from data and research.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.