Angela Garcia: The Pastoral Clinic 3/6/2023

In regards to content, I enjoyed this reading as it reframes the issue of drug addiction, which is highly stigmatized in the United States. Garcia goes against norms and stereotypes of addicts to look at alternative factors in drug usage and relapse. She encourages the consideration of a multitude of factors from neoliberalism to historical issues that create the conditions for drug usage, addiction, and relapse.

One thing that I have noticed both from Professor Khan in her talk on campus as well as in Garcia’s writings that they both connected to broader philosophical thinking. In formation of her research question/focus, I am curious if Garcia had these broader philosophical thoughts (such as Levinas) which she narrowed or vice versa. Additionally, I loved how she was transparent with her shortcomings, for a lack of a better word. She acknowledged how broader happenings, particularly the suicide of a teenager at a faith-based rehabilitation program, resulted in certain groups being closed off and hesitant. I am curious at the different ways she tried to establish rapport in these difficult conditions, but it was nice to see a professional be honest about their shortcoming and subsequent adaptations/modifications to research.

In Chapter 5, Garcia does a great job of gathering diverse perspectives during her fieldwork. However, her choice to utilize anecdotes allows a personification of addicts that is normally stripped away in society, politics, media, etc. She seemingly approached these conversations in a nonjudgemental way allowing these addicts to confide in her. She utilizes these stories of individuals, such as Adela, to describe how neoliberalism has impacted medicine and her continue practice of “home detox.”

All in all, I think Garcia did a great job at establishing rapport and utilizing the stories of individuals to personify drug usage and illustrate how broader systems impact individuals and communities.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Angela Garcia: The Pastoral Clinic 3/6/2023

1. Shmelee E. says:

Hi kep, I am really inspired by your comment on a “broader philosophical thinking”. I also think that, as researcher, holding these philosophical thoughts in mind could play a role in formulating a unique perspective when encountering experiences of the drug addicts. In Dr. Garcia’s virtual presentation about Anexos in Mexico, I learned that she has a broad range of knowledge including global capitalism, roman catholicism, drug war, etc. All these different topics undoubtedly supported her interpretation of the stories of people she meets.

I also find her use of anecdotes attentive to the story, drawing attention to the forgotten group of people.