Small Gestures Matter

Similar to a previous post on the introduction of Jegathesan’s “Tea and Solidarity: Tamil Women and Work in Postwar Sri Lanka,” I was also struck by the author’s observation of the common gesture of concern and care that Tamil women would make towards younger individuals by asking if they had eaten breakfast yet. This reminds me of a similar practice in Beijing, where locals would often greet each other by asking if they had eaten lunch or dinner depending on the time of day. As someone who has experienced this type of social connection and hospitality firsthand, I appreciate the value of these small gestures in building and maintaining relationships within a community. They can create a sense of belonging and connectedness, especially for individuals who may be new to a community or experiencing barriers of any sort. I am really inspired by this and looking forward to learning more about how Tamil women have built and maintained social networks in the aftermath of the Sri Lankan Civil War, and how tea plantation work has played a role in these relationships.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.