Murchison, Chapter 2 and 3

While reading these chapters, a couple of things stood out to me. Specifically, the notion that the ethnographic topic chosen should be in a constant state of evolution and change. It is emphasized that the topic should not only be consistently “shifting” but also should “add” valuable information not covered in popular sources. Additionally, it was helpful to be reminded that the chosen topic should not only cater to personal needs and interests but also align with the needs and interests of the informant. All these reminders point to larger ethical questions to consider in the research process.

This brought to mind some details I previously highlighted within Tsing’s introduction. I commented on the idea that it is the researcher’s obligation to be cognizant of how their words could potentially be interpreted and consumed by the public.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Murchison, Chapter 2 and 3

1. Finding an Ethnography Topic: Murchison CH. 2 and 3.

These two chapters brought up some good guides to both finding the ethnography research question/topic and how to best keep track of your ideas. As someone who loves and is used to writing scientific research papers, I had to think a lot about what my ethnography topic could be. This is interesting considering how the paper states that ethnographers can spot a question for research anywhere, yet I struggled to come up with one. In addition, I think it is important how the book emphasizes that the ideas and notes should be organized. I noticed this is something that is very helpful in ethnography (after all, field notes are the core component of such a paper).
    Choosing an ethnography question/topic is difficult because it dictates your entire paper. That is why I appreciate how these two chapters broke down things to think about when brainstorming it, especially some of the things that should be avoided.