spectacular bodies

This reading and discussion about reparations bring to mind a dialogue I had in a course with Dr. McKinson. We delved into how young Jamaican men engage in lottery scamming as a form of self-styled reparations in response to poverty. This discussion, I believe, resonates closely with Thomas’s framework, which emphasizes both historical contextualization and transnational as well as international perspectives. I’m still navigating through this text, but one concept particularly resonates with me: Thomas’s recognition that the consequences of slavery and colonialism transcend national borders, having global impacts. Specifically the way her framework posits that truly comprehending and addressing these issues necessitates collaboration and mutual understanding that cross international boundaries, acknowledging the interwoven nature of historical legacies and the current realities across various nations in the Americas and beyond which I believe needs to exist alongside the conversation surrounding wealth redistribution

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.