The Vanderbilt Trombone Studio consists of 8-12 students, most of whom are pursuing Bachelor of Music degrees from the Blair School of Music. We also usually have one or two non-Blair students studying trombone in pursuit of a music minor, and often one or two pre-college students studying through Blair’s extensive Precollege and Adult program.
For the 2013-2014 school year there are 11 trombonists studying with Associate Professor of Trombone, Jeremy Wilson:
- 10 music majors, 1 music minor
- 9 tenor trombonists, 2 bass trombonists
- 5 freshmen, 2 sophomores, 2 juniors, 2 seniors
We have 4 students from Tennessee, and the rest come from Illinois, Maryland, New York, South Carolina, & Texas.
Our Blair trombonists participate in the Vanderbilt Symphony Orchestra, the Vanderbilt Wind Ensemble, the Blair Big Band, and the Spirit of Gold Marching Band, as well as various small brass ensembles through Blair’s wonderful chamber music program.
The Vanderbilt Trombone Ensemble and Jazz Trombone Ensemble were founded in Spring 2013 to enhance our students’ private lesson study through rehearsal and performance of the ever increasing number of high-quality trombone ensemble works.
Students typically have a one-hour private lesson each week, and music majors must also sign up for our weekly Trombone Performance Class.
Professor Wilson also offers three optional hours every week, open to any trombonist on campus:
- Guided Listening Hour: We spend time listening to music of all kinds (but especially the orchestral repertoire), working on active listening skills, building a listening library, and getting better acquainted with the great composers, conductors, and ensembles of past and present.
- Excerpt Hour: We study and play several important trombone excerpts (determined before the semester begins), rotating parts among those in attendance.
- Jazz Jam Session: Several tunes are selected at the beginning of each semester, and we get together to just play, experiment, and work on improvisation and solo-building in a safe, fun, & non-judgemental environment.