Meet a USAC Member: Michelle Halman

Posted by on Friday, May 15, 2020 in Meet a USAC Member.

Meet a USAC Member

What department do you work in and what is your job title?
I am the Recruitment and Training Manager in Campus Dining.

How long have you been a Vanderbilt employee?
I have worked at Vanderbilt since 2004.  I started at the Medical Center and have worked my way over the university.  I have been at the university side since 2016.

What do you enjoy most about Vanderbilt?
Vanderbilt has an amazing desire to “do the right thing.”  I have always loved that about our community.  From our sustainability efforts, and how they have supported all the staff during this COVID-19 time… I couldn’t be more proud to be a part of Vanderbilt University.

What has been your career journey to lead you to where you are today?
After graduating college with an undergraduate degree in Psychology, I began working at a job training program for people with significant mental health diagnoses.  I found out very quickly that I had a skill for job matching – taking someone’s strengths and matching it to careers that could succeed in.  Years later, I co-managed a job training program at the Children’s Hospital for people with developmental disabilities called Project SEARCH.  Vanderbilt Campus Dining was a huge supporter of the program and was excited to hire people who wanted to work… it was a win-win.  I then went to Peabody College where I was part of a team that developed online trainings to increase employment outcomes for people with disabilities.  When that grant ended, I saw Campus Dining had an opening in 2017 and applied.  I had worked with them for years and knew the department had a huge heart.  I wasn’t wrong.  This has been the best job I have ever had so far!

If you could visit any country with no budget, where would you visit?
I currently have tickets and a whole two-week trip planned to go to Scotland and Ireland with my best friend in June.  I am not sure that will pan out this year but that is my dream vacation.  I cannot wait!

What is your favorite type of music?
I love some 80’s music when I am out powerwalking and some indie singer/songwriters when I am relaxing at home.

What are you most proud of in your life thus far?
I have raised two amazing daughters on my own.  My oldest daughter, Malina Halman, works at the university also.  She is an Assistant Dean at the Office of Academic Services.  She received her undergraduate and graduate degrees from Vanderbilt.  Malina is not only brilliant but she is an amazing artist.  My youngest daughter, Hanna Nordin, is currently a sophomore at Rhodes College in Memphis.  She is so very smart, plays guitar and is a volunteer advanced guitar teacher at the Southern Girls Rock and Roll Camp each summer.  I am amazed and so very proud of them.  The world is a better place because they are in it.  They are what I am most proud of in my life thus far.