Meet a Vanderbilt USAC Member: Jasen Hughey

Posted by on Thursday, October 11, 2018 in Meet a USAC Member, News, Newsletter.

What department do you work in and what is your job title?

Vanderbilt University Public Safety / Criminal Investigations Unit / Detective Lieutenant

How long have you been a Vanderbilt employee?

10 Years

What has been your career journey to lead you to where you are today?

I’ve been a police officer since I was 21 years old. Just while I’ve been at Vanderbilt, I started at entry level as a Police Officer (before the CSO program). I made Sergeant in two years, and Lieutenant three years after that. During that time, I finished my undergraduate degree in Criminal Justice at Trevecca. I’ve served at all three Vanderbilt precincts across all three shifts. I’ve been in CIU almost two and a half years.

What do you enjoy most about Vanderbilt? (i.e. missions, benefits, views of sustainability, community, etc.)?

If I had to pick just one I would say the benefits.

What did you want to be when you grew up?

I had no clue up to and through high school. Shortly after graduated I felt a pull towards the emergency services. The only thing I was old enough to do was be an EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) so I went to school for that, then the volunteer fire academy, and then when I was old enough to the police department. The only other thing I ever considered was being a truck driver. I grew up when trucking was cool (Smokey and the Bandit!) and I had uncles that drove that I had ridden with and enjoyed it.

If you could visit any country with no budget, where would you visit?

Japan. I’m fascinated by their culture.

What is your favorite type of music?

I listen to a lot of different kinds but if I had to pick one I’d say 80’s-90’s rock and grunge.

What has been your favorite vacation you have ever been on?

Greece in 2004, hands down, no questions. I was in Halkidiki. The weather was perfect, great views and scenery, the food was awesome, and the people were great.

What are you most proud of in your life thus far?

I am most proud of my children. The way I feel about it is that before you have kids, life is about what you accomplish for yourself. After you have children, it is all about what you can accomplish for them! I have two boys, Roman (10) and Corbin (5).

P.S. – I couldn’t leave out my wife, Lana. She’s the bestest most awesome mom and wife in forever!

Tags: