Meet a Vanderbilt USAC Member: Cathy Weisbrodt

Posted by on Tuesday, April 9, 2019 in Meet a USAC Member, News.

meetausac

Meet a USAC - Cathy Weisbrodt

What department do you work in and what is your job title?

I work at the Career Center as a Senior Career Coach supporting undergraduate Vanderbilt students. I have the privilege of not only working with students interested in STEM fields, but also focus on the diversity and inclusion initiatives in our office.

How long have you been a Vanderbilt employee?

I have had two stints at Vanderbilt.  Most recently, I have been with the Career Center for 6.5 years and previously worked in Development & Alumni Relations for 2+ years.

What has been your career journey to lead you to where you are today?

Prior to finding my fit in higher education, my career journey had been a winding road.  I have experience in sales; investment management; recruiting; fundraising and ultimately realized that I am at my best when I am building relationships and helping people discover their individual paths.

What do you enjoy most about Vanderbilt? (i.e. missions, benefits, views of sustainability, community, etc.)?

There are so many things that I enjoy about working at Vanderbilt, but I would have to say that the interaction I have with our undergraduate students each and every day is what I enjoy the most!  I also really appreciate the diversity of thought on campus and the chance to partner with so many amazing offices.

What did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was growing up, I wanted to be a teacher or a nurse. As a Career Coach, I don’t think I’m too far off.

If you could visit any country with no budget, where would you visit?

Australia would be #1 on my list. I have heard amazing things about Australia from the weather to the people and it seems those that have visited dream of going back.  Plus, Koalas & Kangaroos would be a nice addition to the visit.

If you could have lunch with any person (dead or alive) with whom would it be?  

It would be my late maternal grandfather. I want to thank him for the influence he has had on my life and the character traits that he instilled in me.

What is your favorite way to spend a weekend?
My favorite way to spend a weekend is definitely with my husband, Fred, and will most likely include attending a concert, music festival or sporting event!