Home » 1010 blog posts » America’s Greatest Past Time/ Vandy Baseball

America’s Greatest Past Time/ Vandy Baseball

Posted by on Monday, April 3, 2017 in 1010 blog posts, Blog posts.

America’s Greatest Past Time is simplified down into three things: Freedom, Apple Pie and Baseball. In this lead essay I want to magnify Baseball in a lens that not many people look at when they think of or watch baseball. Baseball is a popular sport in itself but when you step away and look at it through a theatre lens, it opens your eyes to a new realm. Abner Doubleday invented baseball in the year 1839 in a town called Cooperstown, New York. Since 1839, the game of baseball has taken off and improved in many ways. The players’ equipment has evolved, along with the stadiums and popularity of the game. Without America’s favorite past time I would not be where I am today and that is why I want to go in depth about the game I love. I attend Vanderbilt University and I am apart of the Vanderbilt Baseball team. I am considered a Pitcher Only because I cannot hit very well and I will admit that to anyone. With me being a Pitcher Only I do not play every game because my arm and body need to rest. So therefore I am on the sidelines as a spectator for 3 or 4 games at a time before I pitch again. When I was assigned this assignment, on the days I am resting, I started looking closely into the game of baseball from a theatre perspective.

The game of baseball is more than just the game itself. There are so many sounds and feelings that are put into it that you never really hear or feel unless you look at it from a theatre perspective. The sound of the ball pounding the mitt, the crack of the bat when it makes contact with the ball, the details and colors into teams uniforms and the roar of the crowd when something positive or negative happens. The game I focused on for these situations is when we played Mississippi University (Ole Miss) at their home ballpark. It was a Saturday game and we are losing the series 1-0. Ole Miss is wearing a red with navy blue stripes and we are wearing our black jerseys outlined with gold and white pants. We are the visiting team so we are hitting first. Ole Miss takes the field and the roar of the crowd overwhelms our dugout. Cheering and clapping is heard all throughout the stadium. The momentum that they gain from playing at their home field is already a disadvantage for us. However, in the first inning we put up one run and they simmer down very fast. Now it is our turn. We take the field and the whole place is screaming, “Boooooo.” That has no affect on us because we as a team love that energy and we use that for motivation. Patrick Raby is on the mound and for his first pitch delivers a strike. “POP!” The sound of the ball hitting the mitt echo’s out of the stadium and right there we knew we had the game won. We played all 9 innings very well and won the game 6-2. While we ran onto the field to celebrate you could hear the sounds of stadium seats flip up and Ole Miss fans mumbling words throughout. The Vanderbilt fans that were there were cheering “Black” and “Gold” back and forth. They could be heard yelling “Hell of a game Raby!” or “Way to hit it three!!”

The sounds of baseball are what make the game entertaining. The energy we provide on the field is sent up into the stands, which makes their energy erupt, and from there it shoots back down and ignites us even more. The sound of the ball hitting the leather mitt or the sound of the metal bat as it hits the ball is what makes everyone who is watching eyes focus on that particular situation.

5 Comments on “America’s Greatest Past Time/ Vandy Baseball”

Chandler makes some great points about the game changing over the year and evolving in many ways. Chandler also makes a great point when he says he can’t hit, that is also very true.

The game was magnificent in many ways including the energy and body language from each team. When an opposing team goes into someone else’s stadium and beats them, the facial expressions tell it all. This was the case against Ole Miss. The players and fans just had a bad look on their face and were not saying nice things to us.

The sounds of the game are unique when you zone in. The grunt of the pitcher right before the pop of the mitt is hear many of times throughout the crowd. The excitement of our dugout after an exciting play while their stadium is dead quiet. The feeling of that is unbelievable.

The classic SEC rivalry with these two teams made things interesting and such a fun and exciting event to attend.

Justin Wilson on April 7th, 2017 at 9:23 am

In response to Chandlers lead essay, I really enjoyed how he brought up the history of baseball, while leading into his present day experience. This idea alone borough up many thoughts and ideas. The underlying message that I would like to convey in this response is that though our society and culture has changed drastically in the last 200 years, and the men playing the game of baseball have changed. The jerseys are no longer wool, and the cleats are no longer sharpened before competition by vicious competitors like Ty Cobb. The greatest thing about baseball is that the game is so comparable throughout generations of athletes. When the game was invented, the base paths were 90 feet, and the mound to home plate was 60 ft 6 inches. While everything from a shallow glance seems to be different, the game of baseball is constant. As Chandler said, it is Americas past time.

Matthew Ruppenthal on April 11th, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Chandler brings up an interesting point where he says “the sounds of baseball are what make the game entertaining”. There are so many sounds that one can pay attention to that aren’t necessarily involved in the game. The sound of fans cheering or booing in Vanderbilt’s case at Ole Miss, the music playing in between innings, the announcer keeping fans up to date with what is going on, what player is up to bat, or who is pitching.

There is a bunch of different energies that are circulating throughout a baseball game and appeal to people in a different way.

Like Matt commented, baseball has remained constant since the day it started, and while the players attributes and skill may increase, the game will stay the same and the dimensions will stay the same.

Connor Kaiser on April 11th, 2017 at 1:06 pm

It was also a unique experience for me to be going to a sporing event with a “theatrical” mindset. At first I watching the players, specifically how they moved as a team as if it was rehearsed. Even making playing in the field was spot on. Comparing the movements of the players did take me out of the moment a bit and made me lose track of the game. Although, this was not necessarily a bad thing, as my mind was thinking in a new “theatrical” way. I also agree with the post that the sounds and the energy throughout the stadium made the atmosphere so much more entertaining.

Matthew Pomerantz on April 11th, 2017 at 3:21 pm

Chandler made some great points by pointing out how much the game of baseball has changed from years ago up until now. I really like how he provided information that pertained to the audience and how energy can travel through the air and make a difference within the ball game. Facial expressions do play a factor in performance because it connects with a source of energy as well.

Chassity Carter on April 25th, 2017 at 1:17 pm