Application Process Information
Online applications for #VUcept2017 open on January 6, 2017 at 8:00 am and close on January 29, 2017 at 11:59 pm.
There are three applications – one for new applicants (never before VUceptors), one for first-time returning applications (been a VUceptor once before), and one for lifers (applicants who have been VUceptors twice already – this includes applicants who were on the Executive Board for one year). Please be sure that you complete the correct application.
Previous VUceptors must go through the same rigorous application process as new applicants, and are not guaranteed an interview.
Applicants who are spending the semester away from Vanderbilt as enrolled students (study abroad, internships, etc.) are eligible to apply. If chosen to be interviewed, Skype or phone interviews will be arranged.
Note: Due to scheduling conflicts, we cannot accept Ingram Scholars or Writing Studio Consultants for VUcept 2017.
All applications are scored by three sets of readers: the Selections Team (President, Vice President and Selections Co-chairs), the other Executive Board members, and Faculty VUceptors. While board members and Faculty VUceptors score applications, it is the sole decision of the Selections Team as to who will be extended an interview. Therefore, please direct all questions about the process to the Selections Team, and not to other board members.
Applicants chosen for an interview will be notified no later than Monday, February 13. Applicants are asked to submit a one-page resume as part of their application.
The resume is meant to support your application. We will not penalize first-year students for having had less opportunity than upperclass students to build a resume. Experiences during high school are as relevant for first-year student applications as experiences during college for upperclass students.
Interview dates: February 21 and 22, 2017, between 3pm and 8pm.
VUceptors for Fall 2017 will be notified during the week prior to Spring Break.
General questions about VUcept can be sent to VUcept President Kenya Wright (firstname.lastname@example.org), Vice President Kelly Perry (email@example.com), or Adviser Natalee Erb (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Failure to meet any of these expectations is grounds for termination.
- Participate in VUceptor Orientation (March 27, 29, or April 4, 2017)
- Participate in VUceptor Training (August 14-18, 2017)
- Participate in all CommonVU activities with your Visions group
- Prepare Vanderbilt Visions meetings with your faculty partner on a weekly basis and co-facilitate all weekly sessions
- Complete The Commons Reading over the summer
- Participate in VUcept general body meetings in Fall 2017
- Recognize that VUcept is poised to actively engage in campus conversations and to shape campus climate, and, as a result, commit to be an informed resource for first-year students
- Maintain a clean conduct record and a 3.0 GPA for duration of term
- Uphold the Honor Code, the Community Creed, and the stipulations of the VUcept contract