Home » About Me

About Me

Markus Eberl
Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology

I am an archaeologist and epigrapher (i.e., I study ancient inscriptions) in the Department of Anthropology. My research focuses on the subjective experience of life in ancient societies with a particular emphasis on Mayan communities. Specifically, I work to reconstruct past societies by examining communities as key social features, analyzing symbols in communication, and documenting social change. I have conducted archaeological fieldwork in Germany, Mexico, and Guatemala, and I currently direct the Tamarindito Archaeological Project in Guatemala’s tropical lowlands. Tamarindito was the seat of a royal dynasty during the Classic period. There, I investigate the collapse of Classic Maya culture from the perspective of Maya commoners. In the laboratory, I specialize in ceramic analysis, documenting societal changes through shifts in design. I also work with Maya glyphic inscriptions to approach Classic Maya culture from an interdisciplinary perspective, allowing textual and ethnohistorical approaches to inform my analyses. My publications include a book on death and burial in Classic Maya culture (2005) and “Community and Difference: Change in Late Classic Maya Villages of the Petexbatun Region” (in press).