Differences in Advancement

While reading Neuromancer, one component that stood out to me was the stark differences between the advancement of technology in different areas. When Case goes to find Molly in the brothel, the narrator describes, “Extending her right hand as though it held an invisible fruit. The five blades slid out, then retracted smoothly” (142). Enhancing one’s ability with chips is astonishing, but it doesn’t stop there. Throughout the book there are countless examples, from basic ideas such as Molly’s surgically inset glasses to the complex such as Deane’s altered DNA to appear younger. These incredible technologies to repair or modify one’s body baffled me, but then I was equally shocked to see the lack of advancement in other areas. Once, when Wintermute was trying to contact Case, the narrator described, “He had to walk the length of the ranked phones. Each rang in turn” (95). The failure to improve necessary components of human life such as communication, surely must have been a conscious choice by William Gibson, but why? Are we so selfishly focused on immorality, to let other areas decline? This idea could be supported with the fact that horses have gone extinct in the novel, despite the advanced technology available for humans. The theme of animals dying out has crossed over two novels, leading me to question, is this an actual possibility of where the world is heading? And if so, how can I stop it?

This entry was posted in VF for Neuromancer. Bookmark the permalink.