Frankenstein’s Neglection of his Alterego

I propose that Victor Frankenstein’s rejection of his alter ego, embodied in the creature which he created, resulted in his own demise. In abandoning his creation, he also abandoned all hope for personal progression and instead was diminished to a self hating, friendless man.  Had Victor, at the moment of the creature’s birth, embraced his creation and dedicated his time to caring for it, a multitude of positive things might have occurred. Perhaps Victor, in explaining how humans are social to his experiment, would realize his own disdain for normal human interaction, and would be able to develop a deeper understanding of his personal need, or lack thereof, for companionship. If nothing else, surely the attempts to care for the creature would have prevented the demonization of what was once an inquisitive and gentle being. The creature argues this much in saying, “Believe me, Frankenstein: I was benevolent; my soul glowed with love and humanity: but am I not alone, miserably alone?” (Shelley 78)  It stands to reason that a calm disciple and friend of Victor’s would never be compelled to murder his mentor’s family, preventing Victor from experiencing the guilt of inaction which lead to the decline in his health and mental well-being. Again, the creature’s positive traits were never nurtured but his negative traits were learned from people, and failing to address issues in regards to both the creature and in himself was an ill-fated decision on Victor’s part.

This entry was posted in VF for Frankenstein. Bookmark the permalink.