Registration and Support Requests
Important notes for non-U.S. residents:
- Please see Traveling to the United States (The National Academies), U.S. State Department and U.S. State Department Visa Waiver Program for information about visas. Note that starting January 12, 2009 all Visa Waiver Program (VWP) travelers are now required to obtain a travel authorization via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to traveling to the U.S. under the VWP. Please call your local U.S. consulate or embassy and inquire what the rules are pertaining to your country. If you are already in the U.S. on a visa (e.g. F-1, J-1, or H1B), please talk to the international office at your home institution and inquire about the rules pertaining to reimbursement.
- All international visitors who will be receiving travel support are required to complete Vanderbilt’s online Business Visitor Questionnaire (BVQ) prior to arriving on campus.
- Please provide these answers to the following questions on the BVQ:
Purpose of visit to Vanderbilt: Shanks Conference
Vanderbilt Department you will visit: Mathematics
Department Contact Name: KT Griffis
Department Contact Email Address: Katherine.firstname.lastname@example.org
Checkboxes: Travel Costs Reimbursements
- Please see the visa information for business visitors (including the BVQ).
General registration information:
All fees are payable either by mailing a check in advance to the address below or in person upon arrival by check or cash. If you wish to pay in advance, please print out the confirmation document you will receive after you “Submit” your registration form and mail it to:
Shanks 2017 Conference Coordinator
Vanderbilt Department of Mathematics
1326 Stevenson Center
Nashville, TN 37240
Make your check (in U.S. dollars) payable to: Vanderbilt University.
Please make hotel reservations as soon as possible.
Every effort will be made to provide partial financial support to participants who have no alternative source of funding. Preference will be given to graduate students and post-doctoral fellows whose participation is not fully supported by other sources and to underrepresented minorities. While the deadline for priority consideration for funding has passed, registration remains open and new applications for funding are welcome.
Note on air travel: Our funding sponsor requires that those receiving support for air travel fly roundtrip on a U.S. flag airline if at all possible.
Reimbursement procedures: If your request for support has been approved, please proceed as follows.
- If you are a non-U.S. resident please fill out the online Business Visitor Questionnaire (BVQ) before arriving.
- At the conference please ask at the registration desk for the necessary forms that you must complete in order to report your expenses and receive your reimbursement.
- We will need original and detailed receipts for all expenses. Receipts must indicate method of payment (including last four digits of card number for credit/debit card payments).
- Reimbursement checks will be mailed after the conference is over. Due to the University requirements for processing these, it is not possible to provide any reimbursement checks during the conference.
- Please note that Vanderbilt University may be required to withhold U.S. income tax from your reimbursement.