The Stone Research Group in the Vanderbilt Univers

Group Members

Principal Investigator
Michael Stone
Ph.D.
michael.p.stone@vanderbilt.edu 

Bio
I am from California. I completed my B.S. degree in Biochemistry from University of California at Davis. I then completed the Ph.D. degree in Chemistry from University of California at Irvine. After postdoctoral study at the University of Rochester, I joined the Chemistry Department at Vanderbilt University in 1984.

Post-Doctoral Fellow
Markus Voehler
Ph.D.
m.voehler@vanderbilt.edu 

Bio
Before moving to Nashville, I worked in the NMR laboratory at the University of Zuerich, Switzerland. My occupation here at Vanderbilt is twofold. On one side, I am the Director of Operations for the Biomolecular NMR Facility, on the other hand my research connects me to this group, where I study the structure of a repair protein by NMR.

Graduate Student
Ryan Bowen
ryan.s.bowen@vanderbilt.edu 

Bio
I am originally from Manchester, Tennessee; however, Nashville has been my home since 2010. In May 2014, I graduated from Lipscomb University in Nashville with a B.S. in biochemistry. I entered graduate school at Vanderbilt in Summer 2014, and I joined the Stone lab in January 2015. My research interests include utilization of NMR spectroscopy and X-ray crystallography to investigate modified DNA.

Drew Kellum
andrew.h.kellum@vanderbilt.edu 

Bio
I am originally from Tupelo, Mississippi . I attended college at Hendrix College in Conway, Arkansas, where I completed by B. A. in Chemistry with ACS Certification. I came to Vanderbilt University in 2012 through the Department and joined the Stone Lab in the Spring of 2013. I am interested in deducing the structural effects and chemistry of DNA damage through NMR Spectroscopy.

Liang Li
liang.li@vanderbilt.edu 

Bio
I am from China. I received a M.S. degree in Organic Chemistry in 2003 from Chinese Academic Society, in China. Now I am a graduate student. I am currently working on the structural investigation of modified DNA using NMR spectroscopic techniques and X-ray crystallography.

Dustin Politica
B.S.
dustin.a.politica@vanderbilt.edu

Bio
I joined the graduate program in Chemistry at Vanderbilt in 2012 after completing an undergraduate degree at Metropolitan State University of Denver. My interests in chemical biology and NMR led me to join the Stone group the following spring. Since joining the Stone group I have become interested in utilizing structural biology and biochemistry to investigate how chemical pollutants may lead to DNA damage and mutations. My current research focuses on DNA damage resulting from pollutants found in diesel exhaust.

Kallie Stavros
B.S.
kallie.m.stavros@vanderbilt.edu  

Bio
I am originally from Florida. I graduated from Clemson University in 2009 with my B.S. in chemistry. I am currently a graduate student in Dr. Stone’s lab. I am interested in the structural analysis of DNA damage using techniques such as NMR spectroscopy as well as X-ray crystallography.