Associate Professor of History of Art
Associate Professor of Asian Studies
Office: Cohen Memorial Hall 136
Tracy Miller (Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania) is a specialist in the history of Asian art and architecture, especially the ritual architecture of imperial China. Her research focuses on the impact of belief in divinity on the production of art, architecture, and spaces for spiritual encounters. She is author of The Divine Nature of Power: Chinese Ritual Architecture at the Sacred Site of Jinci (Harvard University Asia Center, 2007), and is currently writing a monograph on the use of Indic design strategies in the Buddhist temple architecture of Early Medieval and Medieval China.
- “Invoking Higher Authorities: Song Taizong’s Quest for Imperial Legitimacy and its Architectural Legacy.” In State Power in China: 900-1325, edited by Patricia Buckley Ebrey and Paul Jakov Smith, 29-61. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2016.
- “Of Palaces and Pagodas: Palatial Symbolism in the Buddhist Architecture of Early Medieval China.”Frontiers of History in China 10.2 (2015): 222-263. Of Palaces and Pagodas
- “Architecture During the Reign of the Yongle Emperor.” In Royal Taste: The Art of Princely Courts in Fifteenth-Century China, edited by Fan J. Zhang, 27-33. New York: Scala Art Publishers and The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, 2015.
- “Perfecting the Mountain: On the Morphology of Towering Temples in East Asia,” Journal of Chinese Architecture History 10 (2014): 419-449. Perfecting the Mountain2
- “The Architecture of the Three Teachings during the Tenth-Thirteenth Centuries.” In Modern Chinese Religion: Value Systems in Transformation. Edited by John Lagerway, 721-798. Leiden: E.J. Brill, 2014.
- “Naturalizing Buddhist Cosmology in the Temple Architecture of China: The Case of the Yicihui Pillar.” In The University of Chicago Oriental Institute Seminars, No. 9. Edited by Deena Ragavan, 17-39. Chicago: University of Chicago, 2013. Naturalizing Buddhist Cosmology
For more publications please see the homepage menu