Meet a USAC Member: Allie Noote

Posted by on Wednesday, May 5, 2021 in Meet a USAC Member.

Meet a USAC Member

What department do you work in and what is your job title?
I am a Program Coordinator II for the Office of Student Affairs and Alumni Relations in the Vanderbilt School of Nursing.

How long have you been a Vanderbilt employee?
I have worked at Vanderbilt School of Nursing since June 2015.

What has been your career journey to lead you to where you are today?
I was a personal assistant for a surgeon in Birmingham. I was intrigued by the work he did when I would go into the hospital. I wanted to come back home to Nashville, so I started looking at jobs at Vanderbilt. The School of Nursing had a position open, and I jumped on the opportunity to work with healthcare leaders. I originally began as a Department Education Specialist, where I would help manage Program Directors and faculty content in our learning management system, as well as many other important tasks for them to succeed.

What do you enjoy most about Vanderbilt?
I enjoy that Vanderbilt, as a whole, puts emphasis on its community. I feel very lucky to call many of my colleagues, good friends. The School of Nursing is another wonderful community within the larger campus. I enjoy the time my coworkers have gone out of their way to help me and get to know me. The best thing about Vanderbilt is that everyone wants you to succeed. Whether you are faculty, staff or student, there will always be someone to help you when you need it.

What is the greatest bit of advice a parent or mentor has given you?
Growing up, I was told to treat others the way you wanted to be treated. I find that advice to be something that I do try to make sure I follow. It doesn’t matter who the person is, what they do, always treat people the way you want to be treated.

What is one important skill every person should have?
I think a skill that everyone should have is the ability to be flexible. This is something I have had to learn over the years. Things won’t always go perfectly. Things will happen and being able to adapt in different situations and still show that you are an attribute during hectic times is key.

What is the best perk you have ever had at a job?
I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily a perk, but because VUSN is a community, our entire school will do things for each other. I got married in August 2020 and had to change my location, time and many other things due to the tornado and COVID. My coworkers held a virtual bridal shower and all of the VUSN community was invited to attend. That meant so much to me. Not only that, but VUSN has celebrations for completing another degree, baby showers, retirements, etc. We like to celebrate each other.

Do you feel like you have a good work/life balance?
I do think I have a good work/life balance. I think it was easier when we were all physically going into work, but having boundaries at home has been the best way to keep that balance. I have a designated area to do work and a designated area to have meetings.

What do you enjoy doing to relieve stress?
I like going on walks at Percy Warner or Radnor Lake. I’ve never been very outdoorsy, but during COVID, it really has made me want to get up and just go outside. Getting fresh air has really helped during these unprecedented times.

Are you more productive at night or in the morning?  Do you think it is possible to change and get used to a new schedule?
I’m definitely more productive in the morning. I’m an early bird and always have been. When I wake up, I’m able to start working immediately. I enjoy going to bed early because I feel like I’ve wasted my day if I don’t. I do think it is possible to change and get used to a new schedule. We’ve been doing that for almost a year now, we can do it again.

What did you want to be when you grew up?
I’m honestly not sure. I feel like I probably changed my mind so often. I always wish I would’ve taken dance classes more. I think ballet is so pretty, so maybe I would have wanted to be a ballerina.

If you could visit any country with no budget, where would you visit?
I would love to visit Cuba. My grandparents are from there and I’ve always wanted to visit and see where they grew up. They have such rich history. I also have always wanted to visit Greece, more specifically one of the islands.

What is your favorite type of music?
I really don’t have just one favorite type of music. I usually am listening to whatever Woody and Jim put on the radio.

What has been your favorite vacation you have ever been on?
My favorite vacation was in September 2019. My now-husband and I were traveling to Italy to see my best friend get married. Her father is from Northern Italy, so she wanted to get married in the town her family is from Asiago. My husband, who at the time was just my boyfriend, and I started in Rome and worked our way up to Asiago to see her get married. After she got married, we went to Venice for the last day and went on a tour. Little did I know that he was going to propose on a gondola right in front of the Rialto Bridge. Not only that, but my friends (even my best friend who had just gotten married) had made the trek to Venice to see us and celebrate. It was such a special trip and it happened to be the first time my husband had been out of the country. It was fun seeing how much he loved it.

What are you most proud of in your life thus far?
I think I’m most proud of my siblings. They have both done a lot for me in the past, whether that be show support, help me with a project or just talking when I need someone to talk to. My sister has done amazing things in the short time she has been at Vanderbilt and I’m in awe of her continued accomplishments here. My brother has always been someone who will cheer me up when I’m down. Even though he is 7 years younger than me and 10 years younger than my sister, he knows how to make us laugh and keep us happy.

Name two things you consider yourself to be good at?
I think I’m good at making people feel comfortable. I enjoy talking to people and am extremely outgoing. I think people appreciate that about me, especially if they are a little more introverted than I am. I also always want to help others. Something I was taught growing up was to be there for others in any capacity I can. I try to go out of my way to help my friends and family when they need assistance or even just giving them a small pick-me-up gift to make them feel better.

What is your favorite outdoor activity?
I love going to the lake. I grew up going to Percy Priest and Center Hill. I just am so happy when we are all able to just be together, relaxing, enjoying each other’s company. I’m looking forward to a time we can do that again with one another.

What is something on your bucket list?
My biggest bucket list item is go to Cuba. My grandparents are from Cuba and so I would love to go see where they grew up and see the culture. That’s been one of the things I have wanted to do most in life.

What skill or talent would you most like to learn?
I would love to be learn calligraphy. I think it is so pretty and the people that can do it have so much talent. I don’t have bad handwriting, but I definitely do not have the best. It may take me a little longer to achieve this skill.

If you had an extra hour each day, how would you spend it?
Catching up on laundry and organizing my house! I always walk past my laundry like “today is the day” and then I just get busy. By the end on the day, I just want to relax in the few hours I have before I go to bed. One of these days, my house will be like the homes featured on The Home Edit (hopefully).