Meet a Vanderbilt USAC Member: Hastings Benitone

Posted by on Thursday, May 9, 2019 in Meet a USAC Member, News.

MeetaUSAC

Hastings Benitone

What department do you work in and what is your job title?

I am the Program Coordinator in the office of Facilities, Infrastructure and Risk Management for The School of Medicine Basic Sciences. I am responsible for renovating research labs within the School of Medicine along with maintaining the infrastructure of MRBIII and other duties that fall under our office.

How long have you been a Vanderbilt employee?

I have been with Vanderbilt 8 years. 4 years on the VUMC side and 4 on the VU side.

What has been your career journey to lead you to where you are today?

In my first life, I was in procurement as a buyer and contract manager. That led me to VU Purchasing Services as the Research Lab purchasing agent, which in turn led me to my current role with The School of Medicine.

What do you enjoy most about Vanderbilt?

I really enjoy coming to work every day and encountering all the different minds that are researching and helping to make the world a better place. I enjoy the

committees and associations I am involved with, as it gives me an avenue outside of my job to learn and meet other people on campus.

What did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be a Chef as a teenager. After college, I went on to culinary school and received my Pastry Arts degree. Then I learned that life should not be spent in the back of a kitchen 80 hours a week not seeing the sunlight!

If you could visit any country with no budget, where would you visit?

I would hop islands below the equator for as long as you would let me. And as long as those islands are warm and beachy.

What is your favorite type of music?

Music for me is about my mood, not a “type” of music. I have endless playlists based on mood.

What has been your favorite vacation you have ever been on?

Sailing in the British Virgin Islands. That is where I would start my island hopping.

What are you most proud of in your life thus far?

I am proud to be part of the Vanderbilt family which helps me provide for my family in many ways. I am a mother to a 15-year-old daughter, 9-year-old son, a standard poodle, a guinea pig and my husband puts up with all of us.

Anchor Down!