USAC Meet a Member: Jeffrey Keever

Posted by on Monday, May 6, 2024 in Meet a USAC Member.

JRK Headshot (3) (002)What department do you work in and what is your job title?

College of Arts and Science Dean’s Office – Faculty and Academic Affairs Coordinator

How long have you been a Vanderbilt employee?

I have been at Vanderbilt as an employee for almost three years, but I am a also graduate of the Blair School of Music at Vanderbilt University!

What has been your career journey to lead you to where you are today?

I started in administrative work during my graduate studies at Middle Tennessee State University before being offered a full-time job in the Honors College Dean’s Office. After that, I transitioned to faculty affairs at the Dean’s Office for the College of Arts and Science at Vanderbilt University.

What do you enjoy most about Vanderbilt? (i.e. missions, benefits, views of sustainability, community, etc.)?

My favorite part of Vanderbilt is the opportunity to meet and connect with an array of individuals and learn about their journey and passions outside of work. There are so many people with unique and interesting stories, and Vanderbilt cultivates that community like no other.

What did you want to be when you grew up?

I originally wanted to be an orchestral conductor and went through college and graduate school studying music performance and orchestral conducting. Though that is not my full-time job, I am still very active in the music scene, having started a community orchestra in Middle Tennessee that is now on its third season, as well as guest conducting with many orchestras throughout the area.

If you could visit any country with no budget, where would you visit?

I would either go to Japan and Korea or Egypt!

What is your favorite type of music?

My favorite type of music is Classical Music, but I also can find something in just about any genre that I can enjoy (emphasis on pop and folk).

What has been your favorite vacation you have ever been on?

My favorite vacation was during my semester abroad in Vienna, Austria, where I traveled through Austria, Italy, and Germany for a two-week break and explored famous cities such as Venice, Florence, and Rome while also spending time in the Alps and lower Germany.

What are you most proud of in your life thus far?

Founding a local volunteer orchestra (the Middle Tennessee Sinfonietta) that has morphed into a nonprofit that collaborates with local artists and arts organizations, growing from 20 members to over 80 in the span of three and a half years and gaining a lot of traction within the area. I’ve been able to meet incredible people and work with brilliant artistic minds, as well as receiving multiple grants to help fund unique projects that have never been done before in the area.

What is something on your bucket list?

Something on my bucket list is to travel to each continent at some point in my life – I love to travel and explore different cultures!

If you had an extra hour each day, how would you spend it?

I would love an extra hour to read all of the books on my TBR list!