“Character and adaptability are essential”

Vanderbilt On Madison Avenue was an incredible experience that was unlike any other Spring Break trip. Not only were current undergraduates able to visit major companies in the media and entertainment industry, but also were given multiple opportunities to network with Vanderbilt Alumni and parents working in New York City. Our group was also able to meet many individuals outside of the Vanderbilt community and hear their experiences after attending other colleges and universities such as the University of Delaware, Barnard College of Columbia, and Syracuse University. After the VMA trip had commenced I became that much more excited to be a member of the Vanderbilt community, able to share a common bond with so many inspiring, creative, and successful professionals who were Commodores before me. The Vanderbilt On Madison Avenue trip proved to me that the Vanderbilt family is a strong and connected group that extends farther than I ever imagined. So many alumni and alumnae were willing to offer critical advice and future support in order to help me become a successful young professional.

The Vanderbilt On Madison Avenue trip allows undergraduate students interested in media, marketing, public relations, and communications the chance to learn about hundreds of opportunities available in New York alone. At a major research institution we are not always exposed to the various areas of business as much as others are and it was incredible to finally meet people who represent Vanderbilt in the business world. I was extremely surprised by how many different opportunities major companies had to offer Vanderbilt graduates, particularly in the finance and banking world. Finally, not only was the VMA trip informative, but it also helped me further develop my business etiquette skills. While at NBC Universal Mr. Dan Lovinger, a parent of a sophomore undergrad, emphasized the importance of fostering relationships and keeping your word. After attending the VMA trip I learned that character and adaptability are essentials that speak to an individual’s success in the industry. Between the organized chaos of Manhattan and the incredible work and opportunities alumni and parents shared with our group I remain confident that Vanderbilt is preparing me well to achieve great success in the future.

-Jacquie Chirdo

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.