Travel and Support Information

Important notes for all non-U.S. residents coming from outside the U.S.:

Important notes for non-U.S. residents receiving travel support:

  • If you are already in the U.S. on a visa (e.g. F-1, J-1, or H-1B), please talk to the international office at your home institution and inquire about the rules pertaining to
  • All international visitors who will be receiving travel support are required to complete Vanderbilt’s online Business Visitor Questionnaire (BVQ) prior to arriving on campus. This helps us determine whether Vanderbilt can avoid withholding tax from your reimbursement. Completing it before you arrive speeds up your
    reimbursement.Please provide these answers to the following questions
    on the BVQ:

    • Purpose of visit to Vanderbilt: Use “Other” and enter
      “Cumberland Conference”
    • Vanderbilt Department you will visit: Mathematics
    • Department Contact Name: KT Griffis
    • Department Contact Email Address:
    • Checkboxes: Travel Costs Reimbursement
  • Please see the tax information for business visitors (including the BVQ).

Reimbursement procedures:

Please note the following.

  • We will need original and detailed receipts for all expenses.
    Receipts must indicate method of payment (including last four digits of
    card number for credit/debit card payments).
  • Reimbursements will be sent (by mail or direct deposit) after the
    conference is over. Due to the University requirements for processing
    these, it is not possible to provide any reimbursement checks during the
  • Vanderbilt University may be required to withhold U.S. income tax from your reimbursement.
  • If you are a non-U.S. resident receiving travel support please see
    the instructions above. In particular, please fill out the online Business
    Visitor Questionnaire
    (BVQ) before arriving.

To receive your reimbursement there are some forms you will have to
fill in. These will be available at the registration desk during the
conference, but you may wish to print them and fill them out in advance
to save time.

  • Everyone receiving support must complete the Cumberland Conference Reimbursement Form.
  • Everyone must fill in a tax form. U.S. citizens and permanent residents (green card holders) should fill in a W-9 form. Everyone else should fill in a W-8BEN form.
  • Your payment can be direct-deposited to your bank account. If you
    want your payment deposited to a U.S. bank account, please fill in the
    Electronic Payment Information form. If you want your payment wired to a bank outside the U.S., please fill in the International Wire Information form. If you do not fill in one of these forms your reimbursement will be mailed to you as a check in U.S. dollars.