Lab Members

Dr. Lisa Fazio, Principal Investigator

my.vanderbilt.edu/lisafazio

Ph.D. in Psychology from Duke University

My research is concerned with how to improve student learning using basic principles from cognitive and developmental psychology. I examine simple knowledge such as history facts, as well as more complex forms of knowledge such as mathematics. My research informs basic theories about learning and memory, while also having clear applications for classroom practice.

Min Kyung “Clair” Hong, Graduate Student, 2020

B.A. in Psychology from Duke University

I graduated from Duke University with a B.A. in Psychology and a minor in Economics in 2015. During my time at Duke, I worked with Dr. David Rubin and Dr. Roberto Cabeaza on various memory studies such as examining neural correlates of involuntary memory in patients with PTSD. Currently, I am a first year graduate student at Vanderbilt University, and my journey for memory research continues with Dr. Lisa Fazio and Dr. Sean Polyn.  My research interest lies in identifying ways to improve encoding of memory and building computational models of memory retrieval processes.

IMG_2937 (1)

Taylor Boothby, Lab Manager

B.A. in Psychology and Child Development from Vanderbilt University

I graduated from Vanderbilt in 2017 with a double major in Psychology and Child Development. As an undergraduate, I worked with Dr. Tedra Walden to research attitudes toward stuttering. In the future, I plan to pursue a Ph.D. in School Psychology. I’m excited to learn more about learning and memory with the Building Knowledge Lab!

Reagan Wilke, Undergraduate Research Assistant, 2019

I am a sophomore A&S Psychology student minoring in HOD on the Health and Human Services track. I am so excited to be able to work in the Building Knowledge Lab to learn more about learning and memory, and also to get to work with kids. I still have a while to go before graduation, but I am most passionate about adolescent mental health and well-being, so I know the experiences that come with the opportunity of working in this lab will be helpful in any career path I choose.

Amy Lee, Undergraduate Research Assistant, 2017

I am a senior majoring in Psychology and Neuroscience. Having attained experience teaching children in previous years, I realized how much I enjoy this field. Being able to research in the Building Knowledge Lab to further contribute to the learning methods of children is an opportunity I am very thankful for. After graduation, I hope to continue my studies in medical school and eventually become a doctor in pediatrics.

Tess Levinson, Undergraduate Research Assistant, 2018

I am a Peabody student majoring in Special Education and Cognitive Studies. I have always been fascinated by how people learn, and I am honored and excited to be able to work in the Building Knowledge Lab, helping develop our understanding of this process. I’ve always loved working with children, and I know that my experiences in the lab will help me with whatever path I take.