How Strong is Strong?

Posted by on Thursday, June 11, 2020 in theDIHEDRAL—High-Clip.

theDIHEDRAL Team
theDIHEDRAL Team

There’s no question that climbing gear is crazy strong. Each successive whip proves that (go team!), but how do we really know that our carabiner won’t fail on the next fall?

One might have said, “High-Clip, you idiot, look at the rating. That carabiner can take many kN…it’s been strength tested…chill dude.” So, being the nerdy physics student I am, I checked out these ratings on my go-to quickdraws, finding myself quite confused. The strength ratings are in kN, but in my mind that just describes weight…surely no one expects a 25 kN climber, right? Obviously that’s impossible, so I consulted Black Diamond, inundating them with questions about impulse and force and N*s and all units with a Newton and what they really mean and what are they really measuring…

As it turns out, researchers at BD don’t actually expect a climber to weigh 25 kN, but they are measuring force and they do mean in Newtons. The ratings are the maximum forces that the gear can withstand before failure. To see what I mean, check out BD’s QC Lab where you can watch total destruction.

Yet, maximum force doesn’t really describe what happens when a climber falls, and so there must be some sort of testing that better simulates falling. Plus, what about wear over time? Strength of old draws? Unfortunately, much of BD’s testing is proprietary, so I can’t detail exactly what happens during testing, but there are more test simulating real-life falls, old/worn gear, and strength over time. On top of that, BD has people who go out and abuse the life out of the gear in the last part of the prototype phase (how cool is it to have that job?!?!). Clearly, BD tests climbing gear more than sufficiently…but what sorts of treasures has KP (Kolin Powick, the mechanical engineer who runs the QC lab at BD) uncovered? Here’s some oversimplified fun facts I’ve gleaned from KP’s conclusions:

• Ropes never really recover from falls, but some rest/loosening knots helps soften successive falls
  • Quickdraw gates have to face the same direction
  • Belay loops can still function while being cut 80% through
  • Webbing doesn’t last forever, and neither does metal!
  • The ends of an old rope can’t withstand the same forces as the middles can
  • Draws in gyms need to be replaced more often from abrasion than from other forms of wear

I could go on and on, but the point is climbing gear is CRAZY strong, PLEASE leave the strength testing to the professionals (do not try these at home), and there will be more to come on strength testing! I’d love to hear what gear questions or fun facts you guys have, so be sure to let us know! Lastly, don’t mind my nerdy puns if I end up responding with a whole load of ‘em.

Ah, classic Newton.

High-Clip Co-writer
High-Clip
Co-writer

To see more from theDIHEDRAL, visit our website, Instagram & Twitter (@thedihedral), and Facebook (The Dihedral). Meet the team!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,