I maintain lab space in Stevenson Center 1 and 5 for mineral separations. Primarily, we isolate quartz and zircon minerals from whole rock or bulk sediment samples. In these spaces we can:
- Cut, crush, pulverize, and sieve samples.
- Clean samples with dilute acids and a sonicbath.
- Perform density (LST) and magnetic (Frantz) separations.
- Perform surfactant separations that distinguish minerals based on fracture and cleavage patterns
- Dissolve minerals in Nitric, Hydrofluoric, and Hydrochloric acids.
- Prepare samples for the SEM and LA-ICP-MS by mounting the samples in epoxy and polishing them.
Updates from the lab can be seen on my Twitter page: https://twitter.com/DMantarctica. Recent tweets should also show on the sidebar to the right. Some pictures from the field and research lab are shown below.