Digital Projects

My work has lately centered around the use of videogame engines to create immersive environments for the study of medieval language, literature, and culture.

Immersive virtual environments provide new ways for learning languages in their cultural contexts, which is particularly helpful for dead or endangered languages when these contexts are inaccessible. In 2016, I hosted a conference on learning medieval languages in such environments, bringing in experts from medieval studies, second language acquisition, and the videogame industry. More information on this work can be found here.

I’ve just completed a book manuscript on Jean Bodel that situates his corpus within anti-crusade rhetoric of his time, and as an auxiliary to the book I’m working with students on a TEI digital edition and translation of his poem of leave-taking, Les congés. While under construction, the site is available and the translation is complete. [click here]

Another project I’m collaborating on is a 3D immersive environment paired with traditional scholarship on medieval textual transmission to interrogate the possibilities of creating user empathy and cultural understanding through embodied experiences, such as virtual and augmented reality.