Home » 2017 Blog post » Food for Thought

Food for Thought

Posted by on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 in 2017 Blog post.

As gleaned from my previous travels and further solidified by the academic and cultural lessons learned throughout this course as well, it has become clear that the food markets and respective local diet of a given region are imperative in revealing its cultural intricacies and overall social practices.  Throughout the cobblestone streets that wind away from our oceanfront apartment, it is easy to spot a variety of small produce stands, wine and chocolate shops, and small meat markets with a selection of other common Sicilian staples.  The first of these that I entered was a narrow butcher shop near Piazza Garibaldi that was stocked with everything from meat to pasta to fresh produce to dairy, among other snacks and wine.  The first thing that immediately struck me was the incredible size difference between the grocery products at the Sicilian market in comparison to those commonly seen in America.  The Sicilian mart had egg cartons that held only 6 eggs, very small baskets of arugula, single pats of butter, and cartons of milk that did not seem to be more than a liter.  In the U.S. most goods, particularly those aforementioned, come in large bulks and are advertised as being the best deals for the most product.  Americans tend to gravitate toward words and phrases such as “jumbo”, “value pack”, “family size”, and “bonus”.  Being accustomed to such American marketing tactics and the general belief that bigger is better, it was very shocking to see such a drastic decrease in scale of food goods at the Sicilian shops.

By the same token, I was also struck by the freshness of the majority of foods at the Sicilian mart, where items such as eggs and fruits weren’t being refrigerated, yet looked much more colorful and dense than those found in the states.  Later on, I would find that my original observations were correct as the flavors of the produce and goods that I bought were extremely fresh and vibrant.  In this manner, I arrived at the conclusion that the latter is due to the fact that American products, both fresh and packaged, use significantly more preservatives, GMOs, and other pesticides during their production processes than Sicilian products do.  The latter is primarily made evident by the sheer flavors and colors of American produce which pale in comparison to the robust flavors of Sicilian produce and thus their overall cuisine.  Moreover, I have also observed that the goods bought at Sicilian produce stands and markets tend to rot faster than those in America, again due to lack of preservatives which are traded off for better taste and healthier quality.

In conclusion, my collective experiences in the small grocery shops of Sicily have starkly contrasted the Wal-Mart and Costco chains that I have grown accustomed to at home.  The small portion sizes, farm to table practices, and lack of genetic or chemical enhancements have encouraged me to reevaluate the food that I buy and eat in the U.S.   I definitely feel more inclined to buy organic and locally grown produce, pay attention to ingredient labels, and choose quality over quantity when applicable.  I also have formed a newfound appreciation for the food used to fuel my body and will place a higher value on it than I previously had before.  More than this, I hope to carry out the kind gestures and “hello’s” and “farewells” that many of the Sicilian customers and clerks practiced regularly.  In effect, I plan on making trips to the grocery store about more than just “BOGO” advertisements, but rather as nourishing experiences for both body and soul.

milk, eggs, and arugula for breakfast the next day!

Milk, eggs, and arugula for breakfast !