Home » 2017 Blog post » From the Bus

From the Bus

Posted by on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 in 2017 Blog post.

One of the most fascinating parts of this trip has been watching the world go by from the bus. I have learned so much by paying attention to what we have passed while driving.

One of the street vendors we drove by after visiting Mozia

At first glance, the towns in Sicily look pretty similar. But with closer observation, you begin to notice differences. Some cities have outdoor markets, and others have a lot of modern stores. Some have grand churches, while others are defined by their locations. The people I see are often just sitting or standing outdoors, watching the world go by. They are not afraid to make eye contact or wave in greeting. A ridiculous number of folks smoke, and they glance at us as we drive by. Initially, I am tempted to judge these heavy smokers like I might at home. However, I am coming to realize that the standard here is different. There is a  less negative culture surrounding smoking.

The view as we drive down a small street to stop for gelato

I also have been intrigued by the traffic around us. First of all, the cars are much smaller than in the US. Especially in the city I’m from, the bigger your truck/SUV, the cooler you are. Here it seems the opposite is true. There are so many scooters and motorcycles everywhere, but in Tennessee scooters are rare and trucks trump motorcycles. Furthermore, the Italians drive in a way that I consider reckless (and that’s after seeing my brothers drive four-wheelers). I couldn’t tell you how many times I have honestly thought our bus was about to graze another vehicle – yet I have only seen a single accident in our entire time on the road. It’s sort of amazing.

A pink vehicle caught my eye

I think driving across Sicily has shown me the culture in a way that would be difficult to teach. I have had the opportunity to observe so many different people, places, and customs from the comfort of my seat. I have honestly found myself thankful for long bus rides.