Home » 2017 Blog post » Trying to do laundry

Trying to do laundry

Posted by on Saturday, May 13, 2017 in 2017 Blog post.

Laundry is something that I have been doing since middle school, and can say that I actually enjoy. However, doing laundry while in Cefalu has been a different experience. The first day we tried to do laundry I did not think it would be any different than doing laundry at home. We soon realized that the washing machine is significantly smaller than the ones at home so were only able to wash a few items at a time. Also, all of the options on the washing machine are in Italian so we had little to no idea what we were choosing or how to start/stop it. After a little bit we thought we figured out the right options and started our first load. About 5 minutes into the wash cycle the electricity in our apartment shut off! We figured out that we had blown a fuse from running the washing machine while having a few other electrical items running. Later, after having to call someone to turn our power back on we thought we would try laundry one more time. This time we thought we put in on the standard option but it turns out we put it on some sort of option that was going to take around six hours to complete.

The whole experience with the laundry has been an interesting one. While I thought my only trouble was going to be trying to decipher the words on the machine, I found there are so many other elements that go into laundry in Cefalu that I do not even think about at home. When I am home I can basically throw my laundry in and forget about it until I hear the ding that it is done. It takes maybe an hour and half to wash and dry things, and then I have a full batch of clean clothes ready to go. Laundry in Cefalu is completely different. I have to plan to get up and wash more loads than I am used to in the morning. Then, I have to hang dry them all day, so I will hopefully have dry clothes by night. We also cannot use a lot of other electronics while we are doing laundry otherwise it may blow another fuse. When I am home I can do laundry, charge my phone, watch TV, blow-dry my hair, and many other things all at once. While I finally think I have laundry down now, it was definitely a two -day learning curve to get to this place.

2017-05-13 13.55.49