Home » 2017 Blog post » Women at the Piazza Duomo

Women at the Piazza Duomo

Posted by on Monday, May 15, 2017 in 2017 Blog post.

This Monday morning, at 9:45 A.M., I arrived at the small café situated in Piazza Duomo ready to observe the Italians and tourists during the relatively early morning hours of Cefalú.  As I sat down, I immediately noticed that I was the only young adult in the entire piazza.  Around me were several groups of old men, a few tables of middle-aged women, and several older women each at their own tables.  At the same time, there were also a few tables of British and American families scattered around the outdoor café along with several tour groups composed of old British men and women admiring the church at the head of the piazza. https://vanderbilt.box.com/s/icqlyugz9h5oth1mbsxiwdaal8asgca2

https://vanderbilt.box.com/s/233tzemeujgiz10z8epzw7o0cyttkfaa

The Italian women at the café were particularly interesting to watch. Nearly all of them wore long-sleeve, flowy tops and long pants while adorning beautiful jewelry and name brand purses.  Although the style of clothing was very similar to what one might see being worn at a beachside restaurant along the California coast, it was very obvious that these local women were dressed much more conservatively than American women as the Sicilians showed little to no shoulders, chest, or legs.   The small groups of women seemed to be speaking in relatively hushed yet quick voices as though they were gossiping or talking over serious matters; however, when another woman joined their group or left it, the whole group would excitedly welcome her in loud voices and individually kiss the air on either side of her cheek.  With the exception of the kissing motions, such mannerisms appeared very similar to those customary of American women when chatting with friends at coffee shops and restaurants in the U.S.  However, it did seem that the conversations held by Sicilian women often involved more physical contact, closer seating arrangements, and more hand gestures than that of the typical group of American women.

In addition to the several groups of women, there were also many middle-aged women seated at their own tables, sipping cappuccinos, and people watching by themselves.  I watched intently, as I simply could not believe that not once in the hour that I was there did any of the single women around me pick up their phones, newspapers, magazines, or anything at all; rather, they all seemed to be genuinely content in taking in the scenery on their own.  This behavior starkly contrasts that of the generally negative American stigma attached to eating alone as well as that of having a large breakfast.  In my observation, these Sicilian women seemed to give off a very relaxed, calm, and confident poise as they savored every last bit of cappuccino in their tiny cups.  As I watched these women, I failed to notice that I had just scarfed down a large omelet, orange juice, a croissant and coffee, merely furthering the American stereotype of excess and impatience.

https://vanderbilt.box.com/s/6cbcl7vis7qjwhd0l5nngcin66gkl9kn

After approximately 45 minutes, I finished my meal and left the café, noticing that several of the women I had been observing still had half of their coffee left and remained silently watching the crowds of tourists and locals pass by. This experience further opened my eyes to the way in which the Italian lifestyle revolves around the concept of savoring each moment, whether it be with friends or in one’s own company.  Observing the Sicilians also lent me the new perspective of modest dress as being a form of confidence and feminism in and of itself.  As a modern feminist living in the U.S., I often associate more revealing clothing as a means of expression that should not only be allowed, but also embraced as a stand against the oppression of a society that has historically ingrained women to be subordinate in many aspects of life.  However, the elegance and poise that the Sicilian women exuded, especially those enjoying their own company, effectively allowed me to realize that such modesty does not have to be interpreted as a sign of submission; on the contrary, it demonstrates strength and power of choice, simply in an alternative manner.

Overall, this experience further widened my awareness in regards to both my own American way of life as well as my perspective of what it means to be a strong, independent woman.  I definitely intend to be more conscious of my own lifestyle in an effort to slow it down and absorb the intricacies and beauties of life around me.  By the same token, I intend to take a look at many of my own values from the Sicilian point of view in order to challenge my own perspective and grow on both an intellectual and personal level.