Meet a USAC Member: Emily Kelley

Posted by on Monday, August 9, 2021 in Meet a USAC Member.

Meet a USAC Member

Emily Kelley

What department do you work in and what is your job title?
I am an associate director of stewardship in Development and Alumni Relations.

How long have you been a Vanderbilt employee?
I recently passed my five-year anniversary of working at Vanderbilt, although as an undergraduate student I worked in the Central Library and the former Last Drop Coffee Shop in the Sarratt Student Center.

What is the best perk you have ever had at a job?
I used to work at an independently owned coffee shop in San Diego. Free, good coffee was definitely the best perk, followed closely by the friendships I formed with the regulars who came in daily.

What do you enjoy doing to relieve stress?
When I am not at work, I can be found relieving stress either at Nashville FitLab lifting weights, or at home knitting (two very polar opposites).

Are you more productive at night or in the morning?  Do you think it is possible to change and get used to a new schedule?
I tend to be more productive during the morning but think it is absolutely possible to get used to a new schedule. I always used to consider myself a night owl, but when I got to college, I had to adjust to a new schedule that required getting up at 5am almost every day. Admittedly, I fell asleep in a lot of classes that first semester, but I’ve been an early riser ever since. The key is being consistent and patient. You’re going to have some tough mornings or late nights, but if you are consistent with your sleep and wake times your circadian rhythm will adjust.

What is your favorite type of music?
When I was a kid, we took a driving road trip around the southwestern United States and visited several national parks (Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Arches, Four Corners, etc.). I’ll always remember that as one of my favorite vacations and would love to do it again someday. My mom always reminds me that at the end of the trip I said: “who knew rocks could be so cool.”

Name two things you consider yourself to be good at?
I consider myself to be reasonably skilled at knitting. I’m also a master meal prepper. I absolutely hate cooking on weeknights, but also don’t like to go out to eat frequently. I will spend Sunday cooking in large quantities so that I have all my lunches and dinners ready to last through the weekend.

What is your favorite outdoor activity?
Running! I do mostly road running but enjoy the opportunity to get on a trail once and a while, either to run or just for a hike.