Meet a USAC Member: Kevin Borgic

Posted by on Thursday, June 8, 2023 in Meet a USAC Member.

BorgicWhat department do you work in and what is your job title?

I am the Sr. Manager for Catering Operations with Vanderbilt University Catering and Events.

How long have you been a Vanderbilt employee?

I have been at Vanderbilt for almost 6 years.

How long have you been a part of USAC and how has it impacted you?

This is my second year on USAC, and I really enjoy the connections that I have made and how they allow me to keep a pulse on what happens across the University.

What has been your career journey to lead you to where you are today?

Early in college, I got a job in the Student Organizations and Leadership Development office, and it soon became evident that I enjoyed that more than what I was learning in class. So I expanded in to that world and eventually moved in to event management with the student union. When I graduated, I continued in the event management role before shifting to the food/ catering side. For the last 10 years or so, I have specialized in catering and event management but have also looked for a way to get back to the leadership development work that I enjoy as well.

Last year, I took the steps to become a Gallup-Certified Strengths Coach, and now I am working through certifications in DISC, EQ, and other development structures. In addition to my catering work, I have had the opportunity to run a few development programs with other Campus Dining employees, and look forward to where both sides will go in the coming years. Big things are happening at Vanderbilt and I am excited to be a part of them.

What do you enjoy most about Vanderbilt? (i.e. missions, benefits, views of sustainability, community, etc.)?

I love the emphasis on improvement and growth at Vanderbilt. We celebrate the wins, but also look at how we can outdo ourselves the next time.

What is the greatest bit of advice a parent or mentor has given you?

My parents are my greatest supporters and I feel that their advice has carried over to my development coaching. We are all unique in talents and personalities and that’s okay. Trying to be someone else is not only hard to do, but it’s a recipe for failure.

What is one important skill every person should have?

Customer Service and Kindness. I love the saying that everyone should work in retail or be a server at some point in their lives, because I think that as individuals we can get caught up in our own worlds and not appreciate how we can come across to others. I can learn a lot about a person by how they interact with my waitstaff.

What is the best perk you have ever had at a job?

I’ve worked in food service and events for the last 10+ years, so I love the food I get to eat at work. I’ve been lucky enough to work enough that my grocery bill is quite low. 😊

Do you feel like you have a good work/life balance?

I probably don’t have the dictionary definition of work/life balance, but I think it works for me. I enjoy what I do in catering and have been able to branch out into development coaching recently, which takes up a lot of time, but they both are areas that I enjoy and give me energy.

What do you enjoy doing to relieve stress?

I am cerebral person, so I like to learn something new or just sit and think. My mind is always going on tangents and its fun to see what rabbit holes I can find.

Are you more productive at night or in the morning?  Do you think it is possible to change and get used to a new schedule?

I think I am most productive in the early evening. I love to sleep in but didn’t like when I worked the late-night schedule early in my career. I think that someone can get used to a different schedule, but it will be a struggle to live outside their sweet spot.

What did you want to be when you grew up?

Topgun is one of my favorite movies, so I wanted to be a fighter pilot for several years. There was also a time when I thought I would become a pediatrician.

If you could visit any country with no budget, where would you visit?

This would be a tie between Australia and the United States. I would definitely need to be first class to handle the flight to Australia, but also feel that the US has so many things to offer that it could take years to experience it all.

What is your favorite type of music?

I have eclectic tastes. I enjoy acapella, country, Broadway, 90’s pop, and many others. I am currently in a Westlife & Whitney Houston phase.

What has been your favorite vacation you have ever been on?

Any vacation with my family (especially my niece and nephew). We have been lucky enough to go to Marco Island for Thanksgiving the last couple of years and I truly enjoy being able to relax and recharge with my family.

What are you most proud of in your life thus far?

Beyond my family, because they are amazing, I am personally proud of the fact that multiple people who have worked with and for me have come back later and said that they missed being on my team. I take pride in helping others move forward and its nice to see success at that.

Name two things you consider yourself to be good at?

I consider myself to be pretty calm (outwardly) under pressure, and I love to think things through, so I tend to have multiple plans when problem solving.

What is your favorite outdoor activity?

I love to sit near a beach (not on because sand is annoying and gets everywhere) and reading a book or talking with family and friends. If I’m feeling sporty then I’ll play some volleyball.

What is something on your bucket list?

I don’t really have a set list as the items often change, but currently I’d love to visit Barcelona.

What skill or talent would you most like to learn?

I would love to become fluent in another language (It took me three tries to pass Spanish in order to graduate with my Bachelors) or learn the piano.

If you had an extra hour each day, how would you spend it?

I would probably be lounging in bed researching new things or going down the YouTube/Wikipedia rabbit hole.