Meet a USAC Member: Madeline Long

Posted by on Tuesday, September 12, 2023 in Meet a USAC Member, News.

Picture1What department do you work in and what is your job title?

I’m a Research Specialist in the Warren Center for Neuroscience Drug Discovery (WCNDD). We are in the department of Pharmacology, and I work as a Medicinal Chemist creating novel therapeutics for Alzheimer’s disease and Schizophrenia.

What department do you work in and what is your job title?

How long have you been a part of USAC and how has it impacted you?

I was elected onto USAC in 2022. I have enjoyed meeting lots of different employees within Vanderbilt and learning more about the University. I was inspired by the parental leave proposal in 2022 by the Staff Life committee to join USAC and now I get to participate in these conversations!

What has been your career journey to lead you to where you are today?

I realized I was interested in STEM late in high school, and went to a small liberal arts college, UNC Asheville, for undergrad to study Chemistry. I studied Chemistry and Neuroscience while working in an Organic Chemistry research group. I had read papers published by our director Dr. Craig Lindsley for my coursework and decided to cold email him about a job during my last semester. I began working at the WCNDD in 2015 as a Research Assistant and it’s been amazing growing with the center.

What is one important skill every person should have?

I think everyone should work on their active listening skills. Be present, practice good eye contact, ask questions without judgement and even pay attention to when the conversation is over.

What did you want to be when you grew up?

When I was young, I really wanted to work in the culinary world. I’ve loved to cook ever since my parents would let me help in the kitchen. I cooked a lot when I became vegetarian at 13 and my parents had no idea what to feed me. For a while I wanted to be a Food Scientist and work on lab grown meat products! I even did an internship with the Asheville-Buncombe County Food Policy Council during college.

If you could visit any country with no budget, where would you visit?

Definitely Australia. My husband and I would love to visit for the Australian Open in January.

What is your favorite type of music?

Indie pop, folk and rock. I just saw Maggie Rogers twice on her most recent tour, and really want to get tickets to see Rayland Baxter and Shakey Graves at the Ryman this October.

What is your favorite outdoor activity?

Hiking and tennis might be tied for this one. I’m just waiting for our employee perks to include free indoor court time for the winter…