Meet a USAC Member: Maisie Wilson

Posted by on Tuesday, November 29, 2022 in Meet a USAC Member.

Wilson,MWhat department do you work in and what is your job title?

Division: Communications and Marketing
Department: Creative
Title: Project Manager, Production Editor for Vanderbilt Magazine

How long have you been a Vanderbilt employee?

4 years in March!

How long have you been a part of USAC and how has it impacted you?

I have been involved with USAC for 1.5 years and it has given me such an expanded perspective on things happening at the university. I have a new appreciation for all the sub committees and the work they do to improve staff life, and I was specifically so proud to be involved with USAC during the time that the paid parental leave changes were being suggested to leadership.

What has been your career journey to lead you to where you are today?

I have always worked in the creative field, operating as a project coordinator with a previous company and then a project manager here at Vanderbilt. I get so much creative inspiration from working with skilled graphic designers, writers, and editors and enjoy being a part of the strategy for our university partners to develop the message they need to share.

What do you enjoy most about Vanderbilt? (i.e. missions, benefits, views of sustainability, community, etc.)?

I most enjoy having access to all of the research news and exciting work that Vanderbilt seems to be involved with. My work on Vanderbilt Magazine always keeps me intrigued and informed with the happenings of current students and also notable alums who are making a difference in the world.

What is the greatest bit of advice a parent or mentor has given you?

It is usually better to take time to come up with a real solution than to react quickly and only develop a band-aid for a situation.

What is one important skill every person should have?

How to use Canva! It’s a self-design tool that allows you to have ownership over designs needed for your department that my team may not always be able to help with. Canva is an excellent resource for enterprise level organizations that have wide ranging design needs like Vanderbilt. Plus, it’s super user friendly!

What is the best perk you have ever had at a job?

Through Vandy, I’ve gotten to sit in the box for a Preds game with a handful of my colleagues and that was an amazing experience!

Do you feel like you have a good work/life balance?

Yes. My team especially places value on work/life balance, taking care of yourself and your family, and being flexible to accommodate curveballs that life may throw!

What do you enjoy doing to relieve stress?

I bake to relieve stress! A bad week for me is a good week for my family because they get to taste all my treats!

Are you more productive at night or in the morning?  Do you think it is possible to change and get used to a new schedule?

I am most productive in the morning, for both work and personal matters. I usually like to get done what I need to first, and then take time to relax and enjoy a slower pace once my priorities are handled. I think flexibility is important, so it should be possible to shift to a new schedule, if maintained times of both hard work and relaxation still fit into the schedule. You must have both!

What did you want to be when you grew up?

A judge. My reality is quite the opposite!

If you could visit any country with no budget, where would you visit?

Australia! They have so much to see, but in particular, one of my major bucket list items is cage diving with great white sharks and Australia has some of the best shark diving in the world. I’ve been with other sharks, but great whites are the top of my list, and that can be an expensive adventure.

What is your favorite type of music?

Taylor Swift. Whatever era or genre she’s in at the time – that’s my favorite.

What has been your favorite vacation you have ever been on?

Sedona, AZ! It’s one of the most beautiful places I’ve been and there are some unbelievable hikes, dining, and entertainment as well.

What are you most proud of in your life thus far?

I’m most proud of my work in cat rescue! I’ve rescued and fostered multiple cats over the last few years, and spent a great deal of time volunteering with a local cat café helping to socialize their “shy kitties” before adoption. They’re my passion!

Name two things you consider yourself to be good at?

Baking and wrapping gifts, lol.

What is your favorite outdoor activity?

Swimming

What is something on your bucket list?

Besides cage diving with great white sharks, as noted above, I also want to visit all the National Parks. We’re about ¼ of the way through currently!

What skill or talent would you most like to learn?

I want to learn to speak Spanish fluently! A recent vacation in Mexico encouraged me that it’s possible, as many Mexican natives speak both English and Spanish every day! It’s really impressive that they have mastery of both languages and I think more Americans should learn a second language!

If you had an extra hour each day, how would you spend it?

Reading!