Meet a USAC Member: Patrick Conwell

Posted by on Thursday, January 6, 2022 in Meet a USAC Member.

Patrick ConwellWhat department do you work in and what is your job title?

I work for the police department. I am the captain over Special Projects. Primarily, I manage our Body Worn Camera program and I conduct data analytics and crime analysis.

How long have you been a Vanderbilt employee?

I started with Vanderbilt in 2004 at the VUMC in-patient pharmacy. I moved to the police department in 2005. I was gone for a few years with the Army, but I’ve worked off-and-on for Vanderbilt for over 17 years.

What is one important skill every person should have?

Leadership. I am very passionate about leadership and organizational development. I’m a believer in the axiom “everyone is a leader”. Even if you are not in a “supervisory” role, you still have influence over those around you – good or bad. It becomes even more important as you move into managerial roles. I strongly feel that my primary obligation is to take care of my team. If we truly treat our teammates with honesty, respect, fairness, and consistency – our teammates will return the same and the entire Vanderbilt Community will benefit.

What is the best perk you have ever had a job?

It’s a bit unorthodox, but probably the best job perk I’ve ever had was working with Kojack – my former Explosives Detection Canine (EDC). I got to spend all day with Kojack at work and all night with Kojack at home. Kojack loved going to work and would get very upset if I left the house without him.

What has been your favorite vacation you have ever been on?

Without a doubt, Japan. We went to Tokyo, Kyoto, and Hiroshima. It was the cleanest, safest, nicest place we’ve ever visited and in fact we are planning to go back next year. Even though few people spoke English, the country is so well organized, and the public transportation is so well designed that getting around the country was very easy. Assuming you like sushi and ramen, the food is amazing! I would highly recommend a visit to anyone.

What are you most proud of in your life so far?

I’m not sure if I can say for certain, but two things come to mind. First was my time as a Captain in the US Army where I had the honor to lead 154 Soldiers through a deployment to Afghanistan. Second, as someone who is not particularly suited for academics, I completed my master’s degree in business.

What is a skill or talent you would like to learn?

I would like to learn French. My wife and I have been using Duolingo and are planning to take classes starting next fall. To help our motivation, we’ve trained our 1-year-old puppy using French commands. There is no particular reason to learn French other than it’s a language we both have an interest in learning.

If you had an extra hour each day, how would you spend it?

I don’t know, but it would almost certainly not be used productively. I’d probably sleep or play video games with my wife. If I was smart about it, I guess I should use it to study French!