“Focus on the present”

Before the Vandy on Madison Spring break trip, I had no clue as to what I wanted to do with my life. Going off my schoolwork, semester abroad in China, and past summer internship, I found myself scattered in numerous directions with any number of paths to follow. Participating in this trip helped me focus one of my possible routes a ton. I had had experience working in the entertainment and media industry over the summer, and getting to go and see a number of media companies as well as meet with people who worked in the industry gave me a better sense of where I would fit in into that world.

After hearing so many great speeches and personal accounts of success and failure in the industry from leaders at companies ranging from NBC and Viacom to Ogilvy and Mather and even Facebook, I realized that this exciting business was definitely a possible career path for me.  More specifically, that I was more interested in the creative aspects and research sides of media marketing and advertisement. I also learned from a fantastic lunch with Avery Carpenter, an alumnus who currently works at the Skim, I love the editorial side of things, where I would be able to write. Writing is one of the things I’m very passionate about, and I would love a job that would allow me to do this as much as possible.

Finally, aside from getting a sense of the future, I also learned from these leaders, as well as from my fellow peers on the trip, how to focus on the present. I realized that I need to start shaping my future now, if I want a chance at my dream career. I can do this by being more involved in organizations that let me do what I love while also reflecting positively on my skills and interests that are suited for the media industry. I return to Vanderbilt really excited for what the future will hold and more confident in myself and where I want to go with my life.

-May Braverman

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.