“The importance of fearlessness and confidence”

The Vandy on Madison Ave spring break trip was very valuable in determining the career path I would like to pursue. As a Human and Organizational Development major, I felt as if there were a variety of paths ahead of me, yet I was stuck at a standstill with very little direction. This uncertainty made it very difficult to apply for summer internships, network, and even choose courses. The VMA trip provided an inside look into the media, marketing, and advertising industry. From speaking with alumni, learning about different positions, observing the company culture, and asking questions about how to prepare for this industry, this trip was extremely useful. Creating relationships with alumni in the industry who are very willing to help and devoted to our success was especially worthwhile, as these connections can continue to strengthen throughout my career.

I really enjoyed visiting each office to get a sense of the company culture and the individuals working there. I especially enjoyed visiting Viacom as Jim, Erika, Caroline, and Eli touched upon Viacom’s position in the industry, different responsibilities within ad sales and marketing, skills that are necessary for the job, and how they broke their way into the industry. Further, Jim Balbirer’s stories were not only entertaining, but inspirational. He conveyed the importance of fearlessness and confidence in this industry.

Moreover, it was extremely beneficially having lunch with Greg Wizman, a recent Vandy grad who works at NBC. The more informal, personal setting was a great environment to ask questions and learn more about NBC’s culture. I am very grateful for the Vandy on Madison Ave opportunity and the connections it has provided.

-Alexandra Karul

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.