For Prospective Members: Juniors
Juniors: Class of 2020*
The Alpha of Tennessee Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa seeks to recognize scholarly attainment in the arts and sciences by inviting outstanding juniors to become members. Students in the College of Arts and Science from the class of 2020 with a grade point average of 3.90 or higher who are in at least the sixth semester of residence at Vanderbilt, and who have completed at least 70 semester hours by December 2018 are eligible. Residence and credit hour requirements may not be satisfied by test, AP, or transfer credit, but may be satisfied by study abroad programs controlled or approved by Vanderbilt. By May 2019, candidates should have completed most Achieving Excellence in Liberal Education (AXLE) requirements, and must have completed the Alpha Chapter foreign language and mathematics proficiency requirements: see the “Eligibility” section on the For Prospective Members page for further information.
No more than six members of the class may be admitted as juniors.
To be considered for membership, complete the following steps:
- Complete the Authorization/Application Form for juniors (link below).
- Complete and sign the form to allow the Membership Committee to review your academic record.
- Ask a professor to write a letter of recommendation for you. This letter should be addressed to the Membership Committee of the Alpha of Tennessee Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa and sent to Prof. Catesby Yant via email at Catesby.email@example.com or at the US Postal address provided on the home page of this website.
- Phi Beta Kappa emphasizes the scholarly achievements, broad cultural interests, and high moral character of its members. In a short essay (500 words or fewer) for inclusion with your Information Release Form, discuss the role these principles have played in your life or academic career. Attach this essay to your online application.
- Submit the online form as indicated at the end of the Authorization/Application Form, including your attached essay.
The deadline for submission is 5pm on February 8, 2019.
*August 2019, December 2019, and May 2020 Graduates